First Game.

Christian

After Tuesday, I had been feeling very uneasy throughout the week.

Novalee and I actually did really well on our speech and got an A minus. That's good enough for me and perfect for her. She told me that same day that she was used to getting C's so getting an A in a major assignment was rare.

Ever since she told me about her ADHD, I've wanted to do something about it. Obviously I can't change the fact that she has it, but helping her out with certain things? I could do that. I didn't know much about her disability though. I made a mental note to myself that day to learn a little more about it.

I've been so focused on this game though that I haven't gotten around to it.

Then, things between me and Cgc have been weird. He never apologized for what he said, but I wasn't expecting an apology. I knew he wouldn't say anything about it again and I didn't bring it up. Rhys and Xander had been there overhearing that conversation, but they were staying out of it.

Luckily, Cgc and I didn't play on the same side of the ball so it wouldn't affect our game. I can't have us lose the first game of the year because of a petty fight between me and one of my best friends.

In fact, I don't want to lose any game this year. I know the seniors are with me on this one. Hell, the whole team should be. We all have the same goal after all.

Win the National Championship game and bring back a trophy to Oak Hill.

Considering this could be my final year here, I had to make it happen. A perfect record was probably impossible, but winning a Natty? That wasn't impossible at all.

Coach catches all of our attentions when he walks into the locker room clapping his hands loudly. The locker room had  been quiet before as coach tells us that being rowdy and hyperactive before a game will not help us play to our full potential.

I don't know where he got that from, but we all go along with it anyway.

"Alright, boys. First one of the season. Am I expecting much? Honestly, no. It's the first game of the season and I know it's not going to be perfect. Now this doesn't mean I don't want to leave with a win," he points out his index finger at us.

"We better fucking leave here with a win and leave those lil' ass boys crying out there. You hear me?" His voice is stern. A couple of 'hell yea's' and 'damn rights' float across the room.

"Alright, alright. Valdez? Come up here and say something to your teammates. Two minutes." He holds up two fingers before heading out the door.

I feel all eyes on me. Shit. I should've figured being captain would come with having to give 'inspirational speeches'. I make my way to the middle of the locker room as the guys gather up around me. "C'monnn, cap." Kasey, one of my fellow safeties, says.

I slap the helmet I'm holding in my hands. "Fuck, I promise next time I'll come up with something better, but for now? Let's go out there and show these motherfuckers who's winning the Divison this year." I raise my voice enough for all my teammates to hear.

This seems to get them a bit riled up. "Fuck what they have to say about us, yeah? We're a damn good football team this year and we're about to show everyone that here tonight,"

"Keep talking, you're turning me on, Cap." Rhys jokes. The team busts out in chuckles and a couple of them smack him on the head. "Nasty boy." Cgc says.

I shake my head and raise my helmet; everyone does the same after me. "Remember, get a tackle for your teammate, sack the fuck out of that other quarterback, and do not let any man touch yours." I point my helmet towards Cgc, our quarterback. He gives me a slight nod.

"Alright, let's go, boys." We all clank our helmets together like shot glasses before running out of the locker room.

The loud crowd is already heard from the locker room and it only booms into my ears as we get closer and closer to the field. It's been a while since my adrenaline has been running this high.

We wait only a couple of seconds in the tunnel before they announce our team out and we run onto the field.

It feels so damn good to be back.

+
The team and I plunge back into the locker room. There's too many voices to even get out what anyone is saying. All I know is that none of it is bad and we're all riding on a high right now.

We won 36-12.

One down, eleven to go. That is until playoffs at least.

"Dude no lie, that motherfucker was heavy," Rhys says, extending the 'y'. He grips onto his ribs and closes his eyes like he's in pain. Cgc laughs, shaking his head. "He was. Man got you good."

They're talking about a play in the third quarter. We were five yards from the end zone and Cgc passed the ball to Rhys. He made a touchdown, but got tackled when he made it into the end zone. The dude was a good 285 pounds compared to Rhys who is about 190.

A burst of 'o's' spread throughout the whole damn stadium. Everyone saw how bad it looked. Luckily, he's okay. He just got the air taken out of him.

I'm happy my friends had a good game. I was a bit rough not gonna lie. Definitely wasn't my best game, but I couldn't be upset.

Not until I'm back home and am alone at least.

Xander looks up from his phone. "Party time, boys!" He gets butt naked before wrapping a towel around his waist and running towards the showers.

Xander is the absolute party animal out of all of us. I used to be the same way last year until I found out I was named captain. Now, I'm trying to slow my roll. If I do stay another year, I wouldn't mind being captain again.

"Xander get your ass out here real quick." Coaches voice booms through the room. My best friend does as he says. He looks around the room and nods his head slowly. "One victory closer to an amazing season boys. There's things we need to work on both sides of the ball, but you did a good job out there. Don't get too cocky now, there's still work to be done,"

We all nod our head. He's right, always. "Alright, get outta my sight." He pats his hand against the wall and disappears again.

+
My roommates and I make an appearance at Sigma Phi later on that day. These guys are huge on throwing us parties every time we win. Tonight's obviously not any different.

Cgc eyes a brunette across the room. His favorite. "I'll see you later." He says to Xander, Rhys, and I. Rhys was apart of this frat his freshman and sophomore year so he immediately leaves after Cgc to find his former frat brothers.

Xander and I walk around until we find a keg. He pours the cheap beer into my cup and then his, taking a swig after. "Where's your girl?" He says, looking behind me. I furrow my brows in confusion. Oh.

He's talking about Novalee. I hadn't told him about the fact that we agreed not to complicate things beyond that heated make out session.

"She's not my girl. And I don't know." I shrug. She texted me a 'congrats' after the game. She mentioned how Maddy made her go to the game, so she saw it all.

I would've told her about the party, but I still didn't feel completely comfortable after Tuesday's events. Yes, we agreed on being friends but I can't help the fact that I'm insanely attracted to the girl.

I only got a little taste last Sunday. I need more. But I can't have anymore.

"So then which one are you picking?" Xander hides his lips with his cup, taking another drink from it after. I follow his eyes to a group of girls staring at us and whispering.

He thinks I'm trying to find a hookup tonight. I turn back at him. "Which one are you picking?" I ignore his question. I see a smirk appear on his lips as his focus is still on the groupies. Guess he's made his choice.

"Blonde in the little, pink dress. You?" He asks again. I turn to look at the girls again. They're very attractive, yes.

But I don't want them.

"Eh, I'll look for fun somewhere else." I lie, chugging the rest of the watered down beer. I didn't need a lay tonight.