Sixty

Why do you think I love him too?

~LA

Remind yourself where your loyalties lie, little monster.

~DL

~

These past days were crazy. So much happened in such a short amount of time. And it seemed like a dream. And in a way it was. I went up to the roof to at least escape that madness. I brought my old med school book and I lied on the warm surface of the concrete.

I have been there from the moment my shift ended and I spent half the day there. I was almost at the end when someone opened the door.

I lifted my gaze and I wasn't the least surprised when I saw Demont.

"Hello, Beautiful."

"Hey." I smiled but my grin fell when I saw his worried face.

"What is it?" I sat up.

"Santiago's here."

"So?" I frowned. Ezmo came around all the time and I got used to his presence. Even his walk was a little less weird.

"He's not here for me," Demont said quietly like the reality was already too loud to bear.

"He has a Contract."

I gulped and nodded. I hid the med book behind my back and walked past him. Demont took the book from my hand and I turned around.

He looked at it pitifully and kissed my forhead.

"I'm sorry. We're going to fix this, alright?"

I wanted to tell him no one escapes this life but he knew that and it killed him.

"I know."

I ran down and Santiago was standing there with that pitiful expression that was so foreign to his cold eyes.

"Hello, Ezmo." I greeted.

He nodded and gave me the Contract. I thought he was going to walk away as usual but he was opening his mouth to say something and then he closed it again.

"What is it?" I asked softly, knowing he's hesitant to hurt me further.

"Shaw told me that he wants to thank you for the previous meeting."

He paused and the worry deepend.

"He said it made him realise some things."

I didn't like the sound of that. Demont didn't either. He put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed. I stepped aside and opened the file. The moment I saw the photo and that familiar face... I knew I was fucked.

A piece of paper fell out and it read:

"Remind yourself where your loyalties lie, little monster."

In that instant I realised I never fully admitted what Shaw could and will do. We underestimated him and that is why all of this happened.

I didn't realise I was blinded. I didn't feel like his daughter. But I felt invincible. But I showed Demont enough of my bare self, he knew my vulnerabilities. That's why he did what he did.

~

~

Demont didn't know I was there. He didn't know with whom I had dinner. And I made sure Santiago wouldn't tell him.

"I'm sorry I judged you the first time we met."  he apologised, obviously uncomfortable with the whole situation. He didn't want to betray his partner and I understood that.

"It's alright," I assured him. Ezmo was silent for a bit before he blurted out:

"He really loves you, you know."

"Oh, I hope you are talking about Demont," I grumbled, knowing Santiago was still close to Shaw, to make sure, Demont wouldn't get hurt. That neither of them did.

"Of course I am." he rolled his eyes.

"I know he does. I may not fully get it but..." I shrugged and sipped my water.

"Well, Demont was always a bit too hopeful for his own good. When we met I knew he was disgusted by the things I did. The bribes I took and the sacrifices I made. But he never showed disgust towards me. He became my friend and he was loyal to me even though he was better agent than me."

"That sounds exactly like him." I chuckled.

"Yeah. You know when we came up with that deal to Shaw, he wanted to make Demont a boss of his drug cartel. Then we didn't know it was almost a suicide and yet the fucker didn't take it. He's a proud motherfucker but he has morals a lot of us scum doesn't."

"Why do you think I love him too? " I mumbled and I wonder if I should have just fuck the contract, the whole fucking Sincity and go tell Demont that.

Santiago smiled and then we dug into work.

I returned to Demont's apartment a few hours later, tired and drained.

"Where have you been?" Demont asked curiously and I hugged him.

"Oh, just a dinner with an informant. I needed information on a target." I yawned.

"Love."

"Hmm?"

I didn't look him in the eyes and searched for my stuff in the suitcase. How could I look him in the eyes when I was lying to him? 

"Are you okay? You look pale."

I was, wasn't I?

"I'm okay."

I felt like vomiting. What have I done?

"Are you sure? Ever since you got the Contract you look like you've seen a ghost. Is it someone important?"

"Yes. But don't worry."

I looked at him and smiled.

"It's going to be over soon."

~

Ooooh. A bit suspension huh?

Well, don't forget to Vote, Comment and Follow for more updates loves.

See you on MONDAY mi amores.

~Seraphine