Twelve

I promised myself I will always try to find you a knight that will conquer it for you.

~NC

The last time, you said you smoke because you are a monster. And I know you are not. So I am not letting you.

~DL

~

I watch the four-year-old hop out of the car and disappear into the doors of the building. I straightened in my seat and looked at the car before me.

And then I hit the steering wheel.

~

~

"Lovelle!"

I stood face to face with Nevin. Her mocha skin seemed powdered and her perfect wavy short hair framed her face. Her brown eyes widened at the sight of me. I probably looked like hell. Tired, sunken, in an old sweatshirt with hands in my pockets and long hair messily pulled to the side.

"Hey, sweetie. I thought you said you can't come over yesterday?"

"I didn't think I'd be able to come."

Nevin observed me with concerned eyes and scrunched eyebrows.

"Is it the situation 'I figuratively want you to help me bury a body' or an 'I literally want you to help me bury a body'."

I let out a breathy chuckle.

"It's the 'shut the fuck up and just hug me' situation."

Nevin pulled me in a hug. I stood there leaning my forehead on her shoulder. Nevin held me for a long time in that doorway. I felt like a doll in her arms. I sighed and breathed in her rose and lavender oil scent. We walked inside her apartment.

I laid on her bed and she laid on her side, watching me.

"So, what happened?"

"I keyed a car. I told a guy my most intimate things. I found out he is Shaw's pawn just like everybody else. And I smashed a mug on his wrist about..."

I looked at the watch.

"Four hours ago."

I had to come back for my shift, teaching a bunch of kids and then I went straight out. I didn't talk to Sheila. And sure as hell didn't talk to Demont. I avoided him and he knew.

I turned to Nevin. She frowned.

"You keyed a car?"

I snickered and she offered a smile. After a silence when I waited for her to process it.

"Is it the guy who moved into your building?"

I didn't care how she knew. I just nodded.

"And you didn't know..."