Fifty-Four

Everything is always ruined with a ring of a doorbell.

Who said I'm making a promise to you?

~LA

We both know I'd chase you forever and you'd run away from me until we'd die.

~DL

~

I was suffocating. I felt the oxygen in my lungs, I smelled the frosty air but I was still suffocating. I pealed my eyes open. They burnt from all the crying and I really felt like shit.

I was in Demont's arms. He pulled me to his chest on his good side and wrapped his arms around me. I've never woken up this close to someone. He always kept some distance between us but I suppose he grew tired of holding back.

But what surprised me the most was, I curled to him. I faced him. Maybe he wasn't the only one who was hiding their emotions.

I caressed his arm under my fingers and carefully turned around, his touch slipping down my skin. I sat on the edge of the bed and stretched, feeling the bones cracking. I got up, facing the window to that view I thought was so peaceful the other day.

A hand wrapped around my wrist and I turned around.

"Come back to bed, Love."

Demont was a mess. He didn't look like he slept at all, even though I knew he slept deeply. His skin was peppered with bruises and his shoulder was in that brace and chest in bandages. I came back to him and slid back under the covers.

Demont turned back on his back with a groan and I leaned over him, feeling his stomach. It must've been tender but he didn't flinch when I examined him.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like shit. Everything hurts."

"I'll go get some meds."

"Stay." Demont pulled me back. I smiled softly then. I put my hand on the side of his neck, drawing small circles with my thumb and he closed his eyes.

"I don't want to do anything today."  I sighed.

"We don't have to." he looked at me and smirked. I rolled my eyes.

"We both have jobs, Demont. We already missed one day."

"Well, Bell and Sheila could help us out." he shrugged.

"Bell has his own centre on the other side of the town," I argued.

"Well, I guess I better call a favour in then."

I looked up at him.

"What favour?" I frowned.

"I got my friend out of trouble the other day, so he owes me."

"Does he know how to fight?" I asked worriedly.

"Do you really think I would send someone who doesn't know how to fight... to teach how to fight?" he challenged.

"Is he a criminal?" I furrowed my eyebrows, ignoring his comment.

"No?" he said confusedly.

"Is he an asshole?"

"Yes, but he is less of an asshole than Nyna." he grinned as if it was something to be proud of.

"That doesn't calm me down. Most people are!"

Demont pulled me to his chest, wrapping his arms around me.

"I knew, why I liked you, you softie." he chuckled.