Fifty-Seven

Kiss me like I am the last thing, you'll ever touch. Fuck me like I am the last thing, you'll ever see. Love me like I am the last thing, you'll ever feel.

~LA

I just wanted to show you the world, where big cities are just big cities and bathroom drawers are filled with towels and not guns,

~DL

The drops were hitting against the concrete and I leaned on Demont's chest, closing my eyes.

I breathed in the scent of the fresh new world. Although that world was sinister and fucked up... it was still kind of beautiful. I opened my eyes. The drops slowly fell from the edge of the roof and dark stains grew in front of us, wetting our shoes and socks. The red lights sometimes blinked and this strange city drowned in silence no other city could brag with.

"It's kind of beautiful isn't it?" Demont said.

I nodded and wrapped his arms around me, entangling our fingers.

The fall of those little diamonds sparkled in the air above the city and the sound of the nearing storm drowned out their touch with the ground.

"We should go in. We'll be sick." I said that inner doctor knowing it's kind of late for me anyway.

"I want to stay here," Demont mumbled in my hair, exhausted.

"Down there is everything. Every single problem and sadness. But here... I only have you and that's enough."

My heart skipped a beat. I grinned stupidly and bit my lip to hide it. But Demont caressed my cheek and I knew I didn't have to hide happiness from him because I knew he would never take it away from me.

I turned to him with a smile and wrapped my hands around his neck. I caressed his chest gently. I ran my fingers over his shoulder brace and his healing stomach.

"Just a few minutes then."

We watched the rain. We listened to those few cars driving by and for once I didn't hear the beat from Virgin's Doom. I heard it from Demont's chest and just like he said it, that was enough.

"We never talked about the whole FBI thing," he mumbled and I realised he was right. Ever since the moment in the office, Demont got mad that I put myself at risk that day and I had to coo him so he'd smile at me again. I loved him so deeply for trusting me. Even though it pained him. And trust me when I say I have apologized properly.

"It doesn't change the way I see you," I assured him.

"I'm corrupted. I take money to stay silent."

"At least you get paid for it." I chuckled humorously.

"But you hate people who just watch someone getting hurt," Demont whispered. I looked up in surprise. Did it really mean to him so much, what I thought? Of course, he did. I should've known that.

"I could never hate you," I told him sincerely and I knew a part of him knew it was true. 

"Besides... You aren't a person to watch someone in pain and do nothing. You are just someone who doesn't know how. And if you are guilty, aren't we all guilty of knowing how to fight evil?"

Demont shook his head like he wanted to shake my words off but they were too true for him to dismiss them with denial.

"I tried to be good but then... I just gave up. A big part of me never forgave myself for that."

"I don't think we'll be able to fully forgive ourselves in a while... but for what it is worth... I forgive you. Even though I don't think I have something to forgive you for."