(S2-C9) • Guilt of Separation •

"What's wrong, Chase? And where's your jacket? Weren't you wearing them just earlier?"

Ryder turned his head to his partner, who was sitting down on the co-pilot's seat while Robo-dog laid into a comfortable ball in the corner of the air vehicle's head to recharge. It was clear on the brownish face of the pup the displeasure he kept to himself. Even from seeing his owner during that early morning, when he barely had sleep after his midnight sneaking, his eyes were a different shade, like he was antipathetic. From the flop of his ears, it was as if he didn't want to see his owner and the other royals. The answer to that "why" question was yet to be found, and Chase would most definitely hide the truth of his expression.

"I'm fine, Ryder," he said, lazily swinging his head to the opposite side, avoiding eye contact. Due to this, he was persisted with the same question, and this one, for some reason, caused him to look at his owner with a slight scowl. "I said I'm fine, Sir. Please just keep your focus on the skies, we might crash with another aircraft."

Although the chance of what was said was slimmer than most, Ryder agreed to his logic, pulling his attention back to the large window in front of them despite the joke. He heard news about a plane crashing just because of a bird, and he didn't want to take a risk. However, the first sentence of Chase's second reply brought uneasiness, becoming a first for him. Coming from his best friend, nonetheless. The heavy silence and avoidance of gaze since take off was troublesome, and now, this. At least they were close to descending.

An hour less than one-fourth of the day had passed when they had finally come near to their destination. The tiny dot below them, it was their home. Finally, after the prolonged period and the homesickness that churned in their stomachs, they were happy to see their owned sanctuary. Most of them, anyway, including the momentarily awoken mechanical pup.

Ryder raised a finger to his helmet. "Pups, I'm heading down for a landing," he spoke through his transceiver, the hologram of their Chocolate Labrador coming into view.

"Wogew that, Wyder," he replied, turning his head to see Chase on the other chair. "Hey, Chase! You excited to come home? Thewe's something Skye wanted to give to you."

An ear erect instantly, Chase's head slowly turning to look at the untouchable blue image whose upper body floated as he speaks up whenever. Ryder found this intriguing, exceeding through his thoughts of close friendship and formulating a newer thought. One he was rather glad if he was correct of his assumptions.

With the grey pup swaying back and forth a reddish baton using a paw, Marshall beside him doing the same, they guided the plane down to the open space in the front of their lookout, just by the bridge, blowing away the particles of dirt. The waiting canines had to take a step back, narrowing their eyes and some even covered their ears as the aircraft slowly hovered down, releasing it's wheels just before it gently landed on the asphalt surface like a professional waiter setting down trays.

The ramp lowered and out came out two individuals, man and... Robo-pup, which was not expected but kept the excitement as the awaiting pups nestled closely together, active as they pulled up a sign, written with 'Welcome Back' on it before they cheered the same words.

"You did this for us? Such good pups, I gotta reward you with some pepperoni-flavoured treats!"

"Yey!" They all shouted, Skye landing a backflip and Rubble spinning around with his tiny legs to dance, gradually stopping before he wobbled in place and fell limp to his side, eyes rolling around his head as the world became a spinning bowling ball, and he was looking through the trinity of holes.

Ryder placed deserving pets on his pups, causing yips and joyful barks, but they still had someone else to greet. Perhaps he was taking his time to clean up the equipment inside and might even be sweeping the floor. After all, he was Chase, the strong and responsible German Shepherd of their team, and it was, without a doubt, true.