(S2-C4) • Her Saving Grace •

His back resting against the wall as he eyed the sky, Chase focused his thoughts back towards the past. What a rebel he was, now that he's in this predicament. Anyone would have broken down from anxiety and fear of being hunted and brought to their deserving punishment. Chase, however, was an individual with a resolute mentality, and such a hoax against him that even caused the knights to search and put him to 'justice' seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary. A walk in the park, some might say, but that was only because there was a bigger worry in his mind.

Hearing the backdoor open, he turned his head, seeing Matt after half an hour of great effort, his white polo having wet spots that looked like islands on a map.

The man observed the surroundings for a moment, inhaling deep breaths as the salty droplets trickled off his hairless chin. He stood on the small cemented platform with bars in front so he wouldn't fall off, the pathway being the stairs to his side that leads down to the pup, who rested in his sitting spot.

"How was the order?" he heard Chase say, moving down with arms flailing from each side with every step.

"Tiresome," he gasped. "You shouldn't have just left the meal to me. What if he doesn't like it?"

"Then he might ask someone to take down your restaurant."

A force grabbed Chase by his collar and pulled him in a yank, his paws unable to touch the ground as Matt fumed from both the answer and what he had done. Chase may have helped them but if his goal was to wreck all of their dreams then he shouldn't even be considered as their friend. It was what the waiter thought.

"You're thinking irrationally right now. Maybe the prince would vomit his meal you made, Matt."

"It's your fault if that happens!" he spat, tightening his hold. "Why, out of every chef, would you let ME do the dish?"

Suddenly, the door behind him slammed open and the sound of running came out. Matt released his hold on Chase to turn, seeing one of the chefs appearing in front of him, hands on his knee in his pants.

After a few seconds of rest, the chef raised his hand to Matt's ear and whispered, Chase fixing his collar before he sat right back as he did previously.

"No way." The waiter took a step back, holding a hand by his mouth. "He actually liked it?"

The man nodded at him, which was a surprise that someone as high as a prince would actually like the food he cooked for him, knowing well that he had traveled numerous times and feasted upon countless dishes. Being praised, it weakened his knees, almost forcing his tears out. He was also told that Prince Julius wanted to meet him to apologize personally after the damage he had done, promising to pay for it as soon as possible.

With the chef entering back the restaurant after sending the news, Matt faced his back to the wall, leaning on it before sliding down, his hands reaching the cold pavement, beside Chase. "I don't understand."

"Neither do I, Matt. I just so happened to learn that passion is the driving force of greatness, but most importantly, a happy life. If you let go of that passion, it would blur your vision of the future you promised to yourself, and you might end up as someone who's just 'good enough', like a waiter," Chase stated in his lack of enthusiasm, a flock of birds above them flying by, in which they both moved their eyes to follow. "Failing is always better than quitting. My teammates had to help me a lot of times whenever I am unable to do my part in rescue missions, and that made me think I wasn't fit to be in the team, but that's just because of the strong yet fleeting negativity during those moments, and I never let those thoughts control my life in a permanent scale."

"Ah, so you are Chase from the PAW Patrol. After you told us your name, we were skeptical due to the numerous rumours of your real breed, but now, I'm glad I get to meet the hero. He might've saved another poor soul today."