c!Tubbo - Silent world

Y/N - Your Name

(Deaf characters are always interesting, plus I know sign language, so it was fun to make)

READER PRONOUNS: HE/HIM

It had been a year since the battle. That awful battle that ended up with your eardrums taking the force of a TNT explosion directly.

It had rendered you deaf. Completely and utterly deaf.

You'd hated it in the beginning, but you'd grown to come accustomed to the silence that surrounds you at all times. You'd also grown accustomed to people trying to interact with you.

Usually it was just slowed down talking to make your lip reading easier, so it frustrated you, but at least they were trying.

That's until Tubbo came along.

After his attempted execution, Tubbo had also become deaf. He had scarring along the left side of his body, and was blind in his left eye. And despite his horrific injuries, he'd stayed bright and bubbly.

So there you were, sitting on the ledge near the crater of what used to be L'Manberg. You were humming. You could feel the vibrations through your throat and chest, and wondered what it sounded like.

That's when you felt a tap on your shoulder.

You turn to see who it was, to be greeted by Tubbo standing above you, smiling.

'Hi!' He signs, his smile growing wider.

'Hi, Tubbo!' You sign back as Tubbo sits down next to you. 'Do you come out here often?' You ask, and Tubbo nods.

'I come to remember the good times. The revolution, the bench,' he hesitates before moving his hands to say: 'Wilbur.'

You grimace slightly and nod in understanding, rubbing Tubbo's back comfortingly. His eyes meet yours and he laughs. 'Sorry, that was a bit sad.' You shake your head, and reassure him that it's ok.

Tubbo laughs again, but by his face, you can see that it was probably a joyless sound.

Suddenly you wish you could hear him. Hear his laugh. Hear the sadness in his voice. Hear him, feel him.

'What is your deafness like?' You ask, and Tubbo furrows his eyebrows.

'What do you mean?' He signs.

'What is it like? What does it feel like to you?' You clarify and he takes a second before slowly signing his answer.

'Loud. I know it doesn't make perfect sense but it's so quiet that it's loud. It's too quiet. There's absolutely nothing.' He opens up and you hang on to every word his hands form. 'How about yours?'

'It's,' you pause, thinking, 'it feels like I'm underwater. Like everyone else is above it and I'm just deep enough to be out of hearing range. Like my ears are so full of water that I cannot get a peep from the people above.'

Tubbo mulls over your explanation, and then signs: 'it frustrates you?'

You nod. 'Very much. It.. it doesn't feel fair. No one can talk to me and I'm not very good at lip reading yet. I can't help but feel alone.' You explain, and in Tubbo's eyes, you can see that he understands.

'You have me. We have our own special form of communication. Like spies.' He signs and you laugh. Tubbo smiles as you laugh and your heart feels all warm and fuzzy.

After that conversation, you both fall quiet, hands placed on your laps. You rest your head on Tubbo's shoulder, and he rests his head on your head.

Together, you sit in your own respective silences, happy to feel each other.

It turns out Tubbo was right. You do have him, because from that day onwards, Tubbo started hanging out with you more. He even managed to get Tommy and Ranboo learning a few signs themselves, mainly stuff like 'hello!' or 'hello, my name is..', but it made all the difference.

You suddenly felt that Tubbo was someone who would help support you through your hardships. Tubbo became someone to depend on, and you in turn became the same for him.

You were best friends, and suddenly your silent little world didn't feel so lonely anymore.