c!Karl Jacobs - Forgetful

Y/N - Your Name

READER PRONOUNS: THEY/THEM

Pulling flowers out of the ground, you hum a simple tune.

But the cheery noise gets stuck in your throat.

The average height brunet male stands before you, his purple and green hoodie had a swirl running through it.

"Karl?" You mutter.

He turns around and gives you a bright smile. "Oh hi! Do I know you?" He asks. Your bright expression fades and your eyebrows furrow.

"Karl what are you talking about? It's me!" You say, rising to your feet and meeting his eyes.

He tilts his head. "And you are...?" He prompts, making your breath feel heavy.

He didn't know who you were? That's impossible! It's Karl! He's your boyfriend. How could he forget you?

...how could he?

"You don't- you don't remember me?" You whisper, and Karl shakes his head.

"Should I?" He asks.

You swallow thickly, trying to fight back tears. "I'm- I'm Y/N." You tell him, and he smiles.

"I know you!" He exclaims. You raise your eyebrows.

"I saw you! You were... you were... oh yeah! You were with me! I saw us together!" He rambles, and your eyebrows fall back to their original place.

"Is that all?" You ask quietly, and Karl nods with a confused expression.

"I- I've got to ask, why are you so sad?" Karl asks, and the tears that you were so desperately trying to hold back broke their banks and roll down your cheeks.

"It's just- I know you, Karl. I love you." You mutter, sniffing.

Karl looks downwards, wracking his brain for any memory.

"I don't- I don't remember..." he trails off, looking distraught.

You clasp a hand over your mouth and shake your head. You drop the flowers you were collecting and start walking backwards.

He reaches his hand out to stop you, feeling strangely connected to you. You turn and run, not able to bear seeing him anymore.

Hours later...

Karl searches the entirety of the community, just looking for you.

He didn't understand why he was so connected to you.

He only saw you.

But he saw you. You were with him.

He loved you.

The realisation struck him hard.

He loved you so much, he'd always loved you. Jesus Christ, why hadn't he remembered?!

"Y/N!" He yells out as he could see you in one of the windows. You close the blinds, and he desperately runs up to the door of your house.

He knocks frantically, and after about ten seconds, you finally pull it open.

Your eyes are red and puffy, and you look absolutely miserable.

"I- I remember you, Y/N. I'm sorry. I forgot- I don't know how!" He yammers, "I love you, Y/N." He whispers at the end.

At his words, you practically fall into his arms. He pulls you close and buries his nose into your hair.

"It'll take a while, but I'll remember." He murmurs, and you nod. "I will. I have to." He says, although you can tell it's mostly to himself.

You pull back and give him a smile.

"I'll stick with you." You tell him, and he pulls you back into the hug.

You two stand there for what seems like hours.

And you'd both stay there forever if you could.