Ch. 51

Cogman got right on the plan for the day. The others told Drift to let Jamie stay in bed for the morning. He knew it was not just because of her pain — which is a little better like Hound said it would be, but still uncomfortable for Jamie. As far as Drift could tell, Jamie either doesn't know what today is or doesn't care. Which does concern him as he thinks about the plan.
"Here," Crosshairs says, giving Drift the things he bought for Jamie yesterday, "if she doesn't know, then tell her it's for her recovery. I'll come by later."
Lightning is already looking to see Jamie, aware of how things can go, but the two mechs tell her to wait a few days.

Hound worries about Jamie recovering from surgery after what happened to her, even if it's three days shy of a month since Lightning shot her. No matter how many times he tells himself it makes little sense, he worries her body is handling surgery for now, but that'll backfire. Jamie is dealing with a little discomfort as Hound sits her up, but both know she needs to be sitting up and walking soon to recover. Hound removes the nasogastric tube and leaves the room. Drift hid the items Crosshairs gave him before Hound left. He sits on the edge of the bed by Jamie and asks how she's feeling, hoping to lead into the question. He's unfortunately interrupted by Cogman, who had no interest in making themed pancakes. He brought up breakfast for both Drift and Jamie.
Once Cogman leaves, Drift asks what he wants to - adding how he had no plans since Jamie is injured, and that was two days ago.
"... but Crosshairs had ideas," he finishes and gets what Crosshairs gave him; a bouquet of roses and a box of Reese's stores get or that are found at wholesale stores.
"Did Hound see the candy?" Jamie jokes.
"Oh, like I'm going to let you eat as much as you want," Drift laughs.
The two eat their breakfast in bed before Jamie leans onto Drift. He wraps an arm around her after putting the tray on the floor.

Crosshairs walks in an hour later, thinking he'd find his friends sleeping, but Drift was about to help Jamie stand up and walk at least in the room. Jamie tries to ignore the pain, but it doesn't last long. The two mechs don't like she's in pain but are relieved she can sit up in bed.
"You want me to carry you downstairs to watch T.V.?" Drift asks.
The two mechs thought Jamie would say no, but she agreed. She feels a lot of pain as she's picked up, but it's bearable as she's carried down the stairs.
Lightning is watching T.V. when she sees the door open. She wishes to the other entrance to the room, waiting to see who's walking in. Once she sees its Crosshairs, Drift, and Jamie, she runs out of the room. Only Crosshairs sees her before the door closes. He's not sure if he should be displeased or not. He stays with Drift and Jamie for a while but tells them he's going to get lunch. Relieved, he doesn't have to lie, but first, he will talk to Lightning.

"I can't put her in more pain," Lightning tells him.
"She will not be completely pain free, but the infusion finished before we brought her downstairs. Now is a good time."
"No, I'm not ruining their day."
Crosshairs is at a loss for why Lightning changed her mind. He leaves to get lunch as he told Drift and Jamie what he was doing.
Optimus was walking by when he heard what Lightning told Crosshairs. He sits by her on the bed to talk.
"You know Crosshairs wouldn't insist you go downstairs with him if Jamie was struggling with pain," he reminds her.
"Not after the other day."
Optimus gives up and leaves the room. Lightning isn't sure what to do now. She wants to repair her friendship with Jamie, but doesn't want to see what she saw the other day or when Jamie was having nightmares.
Maybe in a few days. Lightning thinks and lies on the bed.

Crosshairs gives the lovebirds their lunch and leaves, saying they can have a little date. He wants to talk to Lightning. He bought things for Lightning, agreeing with Jamie that the day isn't just for people in a romantic relationship. Now, he has another reason for this if Lightning finds it odd he's giving her gifts on valentine's day.

"To make you feel better," He says, giving her a half bouquet of lilies, "I wasn't sure if it is odd I bought roses."
"You remember I like lilies as well," she smiles and hugs Crosshairs.
Crosshairs wants to convince Lightning to watch T.V. with Jamie, but decides they'll go for a drive instead.

Jamie fell asleep while watching T.V. Drift takes her back to his room and lays in bed with her. Today is mostly a typical day, but Jamie lets Drift do little things. Drift is happy he's managed Jamie's pain but is a little worried about falling asleep.

Crosshairs and Lightning return from a two-hour drive. The two find Drift and Jamie asleep. Lightning is feeling a little better but still worries about Jamie seeing her.
"He should have started another infusion by now," Crosshairs whispers and walks into the room. Lightning follows him, looking at the lovebirds' sleep. Jamie wakes up as she sits on the platform. The two stare at each other before Crosshairs walks towards them.
"I'm starting another infusion, ok?" He asks as he takes Jamie's hand, "then we're leaving."
Something is not right for her not to say anything. Crosshairs frets.
Crosshairs is troubled by how Lightning seems to have given up, and there's no reaction from Jamie.
Lightning worries about Jamie's lack of a reaction but doesn't want to cause her to panic. She can tell Crosshairs is concerned, which adds to her concern. She hates that there's no answer to why Jamie is quiet, fearing Jamie's tiredness isn't the reason. She tries to get closer to the bed, but Crosshairs has her leave the room.
"I think she's just tired," Crosshairs explains.
"You think? And if she's not? Something is wrong!"
"Hey, hey, calm down. Hound checked on her this morning and found nothing wrong."
Could we say this is a good sign and she won't panic near me? Lightning wonders.