Ch. 50

Crosshairs POV
Hound waits until after breakfast to tell us he ended the infusion of drugs keeping Jamie in a coma three hours ago. Even though it could still take all day for Jamie to wake up, we know Drift is going to refuse to leave her side. Lightning struggled to sleep last night and wants to sit by Drift but is worried about Jamie.
"I have an idea; let's go prepare a nice Valentine's day for them," I suggest.
"Not now; she'll be looking for you as well."
Optimus takes Lightning back to the house.
I tell Drift what Lightning wants to do, though it partly ruins the surprise.
"I didn't have plans since she's in so much pain," he tells me, "and she still will be in pain, even if it's not as much as she has been."
I have an idea. I send a text to Cogman and Tessa.

Hound comes by every hour to check on Jamie. We wait three hours before she wakes up. She's still out of it, though from the drugs; Drift, Hound, and I believe she'll be sleeping for the day. Add the pain medication she's on makes her tired.
"You're ok," Drift says as he picks Jamie up.
She rests her head on his shoulder as Drift leaves the barn.
"You know what's fucked up?" I ask, "that Jadin may have helped us."
"What worries me is what was she going to do if Jamie wasn't out of the house?"
We may have a security issue.

Drift POV
I lie Jamie in bed and make sure she's comfortable. Hound says the drugs will take the rest of the day to get out of her system, and she should be pain free. Lightning stands by the door.
"She'll be asleep for most of the day," I explain.
She tells me she wants to stay here. I don't know if it's a good idea, even if Jamie is drugged. I let Lightning lay on the bed by Jamie - hoping I didn't make a mistake.

I find the others in the kitchen eating lunch and try to join them without worrying about Jamie. The others aren't concerned. Lightning is with here since Jamie is still drugged. They are a little worried once the drugs are out of her system. It's hard to know if this is a turning point or not.

Crosshairs and I return to my room to find Lightning asleep by Jamie. It's a happy moment, but I worry about when Jamie will wake up. We both take a picture and leave. I'll check on Jamie in an hour.

Two hours later

Lightning POV
I wake up, kinda happy Jamie is still asleep. I know I shouldn't be here when she wakes up, but I can't leave her alone if she's wake up in pain. It's been two hours. I think she's finally getting good sleep without nightmares. I don't know if yesterday's events are enough to at least stop the nightmares. No way it's enough to forgive what I've done. Maybe it's enough to put Bee's plan into action without her panicking. I never want to hear her scream like that again. Drift walks in and tells me he'll stay here - hoping Jamie will wake up soon to eat.
I find out Izzy, Rangeblade, and Tessa are waiting for me. Izzy and Tessa want to help plan something for Drift and Jamie tomorrow. Rangeblade is included in the planning to learn what Valentine's day is.
"I'm not looking to do something big," I explain, "who knows how much pain Jamie will be in."
From what Crosshairs has told me, Jamie doesn't want to say she and Drift are together. I don't understand why, but I'll find out someday. I didn't think Tessa would help since she'll be spending the day with Shane.
Crosshairs joins us since we know little about what Jamie likes.
"She spent little time with Jamie after Shanghai, before she went to college," Crosshairs explains, which gets an elbow in the gut from Tessa.
"Not my fault she wasn't around much before I left for college."
Cogman joins us to talk about what he's cooking tomorrow. Crosshairs tells him to cook for everyone, as Jamie isn't a fan of romantic dinners. He says we'll make a dessert.
"Really? You want to ruin their day?" I ask.
"This won't ruin their day. The worst that'll happen is she'll refuse to eat it."
Crosshairs suggests brownies loaded with nuts.
"She doesn't like the typical chocolates?" Tessa questions.
"If you're going to question everything, then I'll take care of it!" Crosshairs argues. He has me go check on Jamie, and he'll take care of everything.

I was hoping Jamie is up, but she's still asleep. Hound put the nasogastric tube back in, which Drift tells me he was hoping to get Jamie eating food, but It seems she'll be asleep until tomorrow.
"She's still feeling the effects of the drugs, but not in a coma," Drift explains, "she might wake up in an hour, but I don't want to wait in case she will be asleep until tomorrow."
I didn't think Drift would let me hold her. I don't know why I feel better holding her even if she's asleep. It's not like this is a successful trust exercise.
I want to ask why everyone seems to have detailed medical knowledge in a few areas in medicine, but I don't think I'll be allowed to help any time soon. It's nice holding her for an hour before leaving the room.

Drift POV
Jamie finally woke up at four in the afternoon, but she's still tired. Lighting has been sitting at my desk, refusing to leave. We agree to not let Jamie know she's here right now. Lightning knows I'll be talking as if she isn't in the room.
"A good four-hour nap," I smile at her, "you want food?" She stares at me, half out of it, "hmm, I know; a nice bath."
I worry Hound gave her too much of the drugs, and this is not normal. I text Hound before getting a bath ready.
I do wonder if this is the turning point we need or nothing will change. I worry, why was Jadin even around? I feel both Jamie and Lightning are her targets.