Ch. 38

Drift refuses to eat the food Lightning brought to his room. Even Crosshairs — who has seen Drift depressed before — can't believe the deep depression Drift is in.
If anyone questions how Drift could love a human like Jamie, here is your answer. He thinks as he hugs Drift. 

Lightning and Crosshairs stay in the room until Drift is asleep.
"There are medical supplies in there — why, I  don't know — but I see there's feeding equipment, can't you do something?"
The idea of having to resort to putting a feeding tube in his best friend crushes Crosshairs. Lightning knows not to ask why Drift has medical supplies and had drugs in his room. She feels like it's related to Jamie, and now's not the time to ask for details.
Would I even be trusted with such details now? She wonders. That is if Jamie isn't already dead and doesn't die from her injuries.

Crosshairs goes to Drift's meditation room, feeling like giving meditation a try for once, realizing why Drift didn't meditate during the nightmare situation. Crosshairs kept visualizing his friends and sister happy together.
It's a place to cry without anyone knowing.  He gives in and cries.

Rangeblade isn't sure if she should feel bad she upset Lightning or think she had to make Lightning sad to end her hate towards Jamie. Like everyone else, she wonders if it's too late?  Did she lose the one person who trusted her from the start?
All I know is this shit isn't close to being over...if Jamie isn't dead.  Even if she's gone, there's still how Crosshairs hates me. I'm not sure if the others trust me or not.

"So, do we force him to leave his room or  not?" Hound asks.
"I've learned how much you guys are like us, and it's not good for a human to stay in their room when depressed," Cade answers, "but it's bad to force them. You have to be creative."
"Leave him alone," Prime tells them before walking away.
"Is he making a bad decision?" Hound asks.
"I'm not sure; We know how critical Jamie is."
Unless she's gone, and we will still remember her. Cade wonders.

Drift lays in the tub; one of his favorite pictures sits on the space between the tub and the wall. He lit a few of his favorite candles, hoping the scent will help him relax, but he debates ending the pain in his heart.
Our holoforms are like the human body; even in our bipedal form, we need air.
Crosshairs watches from behind the slightly open door as Drift submerges himself deeper into the water.
He wouldn't...
Crosshairs rushes in and pulls Drift up, discovering he was right as he hears Drift's breathing.
We fear Jamie will do this; I never thought I'd be watching you attempt suicide.
Drift looks at Crosshairs, feeling bad Crosshairs caught him; even though he wants to be dead, to end his pain. 
"What am I supposed to say when she comes back?' Crosshairs asks, knowing he could be lying, but he needs to get Drift out of this mindset, "she loves you; you're her boyfriend, not me."
Crosshairs was hoping Drift would argue Jamie loves them both, even if she doesn't romantically love Crosshairs, but he stares at Crosshairs.  Crosshairs sees nothing but sadness in Drift's eyes and a plea to let him die.
Crosshairs sees the picture on the other side of the tub, wondering if he needs to get all the pictures and hide them for now.
Will that even help? What can I even do to help him? Crosshairs wonders. 
It bothers Crosshairs that Drift isn't embarrassed Crosshairs is taking care of him.

Crosshairs hates he has to tell Prime what happened. Everyone but Lightning is around and can't believe what they're hearing; that Drift, who's always positive in the worst of situations, just tried to end his life. 
"I can't get in touch with her," Cade dreads to say when asked if they heard from the friend.
"It's only been a day," Hound reminds them, "there'd be no good news, unfortunately."
"I'm staying with him," Crosshairs informs everyone.
"And piss off Lightning more? No way!" Hot Rod argues.
"I'll stay with him," Rangeblade tells them and heads to Drift's room.

Crosshairs finds Lighting in her room, looking at the one picture she has from Drift's room.
"So...now we...," she begins to cry, "w-watch Drift k-kill himself."
She drops the picture and hugs Crosshairs.  He feels her trembling as she cries, terrified Drift will end up dead.
What the frag are you doing to us, Primus?

With Drift asleep and Crosshairs' phone connected to the security system, Crosshairs joins the others for dinner.  Everyone stays quiet since the only things to talk about are depressing until...
"That glitch will get what she deserves!" Cogman proudly states.
"What the frag is wrong with you?!" Bee asks, "you barely know her!"
"He's right," Vivian agrees, "it's been seven months since we met her, but I know I don't know much about her."
"I know enough to know she shouldn't be a part of the Autobot team."
Cogman leaves the room as most of the mechs are enraged and ready to fight him, but Prime tells them not to engage.

Drift walks down the street, carrying Jamie due to her size, with Crosshairs walking beside him.
"Hey, look, there's an ice cream shop," Crosshairs points out.
They decide to get ice cream; Drift wanting to share it with Jamie.  Crosshairs laughs at how Drift is doing this; Jamie standing up and Drift sitting on his knees.
"It's not a clever way to propose?" Crosshairs jokingly asks.
Jamie laughs at the joke allowing Drift to sneak a kiss.

Drift abruptly wakes up, breathing fast.
"Drift, you're ok," he hears Crosshairs say.
"J-Jamie...."
Crosshairs knew Drift was dreaming about Jamie. Either her death or a happy moment together.  The pain in his heart grows seeing Drift struggle with depression.  He lays on the bed with Drift, trying to get him to calm down.

Lightning watches from the slightly opened door, tears rolling down her face before she goes to her room.