Chapter 11

Chapter 11

It was Arnav's hand which stopped Manorama, and she wasn't very happy about it.

>>Mrs.?<<

Manorama looked shocked to him, and removed her hand slowly from his brutal grip. He was obviously willing to let go and Manorama asked herself how this man dared to touch her. Everyone in this town knew the name Khurrana. It was an old and very respected family. She was just about to give the man piece of her mind, when she remembered where she was and who invited her. The man infront of her could be her host and could come from the similar background. That's why she decided to put her best fake smile and find out who he was.

>>My name is Mrs. Manorama Khurrana and you are?<<

>>I am Akash Singh.<<

Manorama's eyes formed into slits. She knew the name of the owner and the man standing in front of her wasn't him. There was no reason for her to stay friendly because there was nothing the stranger could give her.

>>How dare you to interfere to family business. Your behavior was highly respect less and I except an apology.<<

Akash looked to Khushi, who lowered her head in shame, while Lavanya stepped closer.

>>Well, Mrs. Khurrana, Khushi work for my employer and if you have something to say to her, you should tell it in private and not in front of Mr. Malik's guests. I don't think my boss would tolerate such behavior and it's my job to make sure, the party is successful.<<

>>She is a widow. A widow.<<

Manorama pointed towards Khushi and spoke a little bit louder.

>>We are a very respected, traditional and known family. We know that whatever we do, however we act, everything is seen. People watch our behavior and expect us to act in a specific way. Khushi belongs to our family, even she is just related by marriage. Khushi can't do what she wants to do. She has to follow our traditional way of life and this includes to wear the right clothes. In our society widows wear white and not red.<<

Manorama's eyes moved from Akash to Khushi when she said her next words.

>>How dare you, Khushi?<<

A voice resounded behind Manorama and everyone became silent.

>>How dare Khushi, what?<<

Manoraman turned around and faced two dark and very angry eyes. Now she became impatient too and was not willing to stay friendly anymore. Manorama felt she acted right and no one should question her opinion. After all she was protecting her family's name and Payal's future.

>>And you are, who?<<

>>Malik. I am Mr. Malik, the owner of this place and the host of the party. And now that I answered your shameless question, maybe you should answer my valid questions, too.<<

Manorama's face fell and her anger disappeared. She knew the name, she knew who invited her and she also knew that her new neighbor deserved an explanation because he was the host. Still, Manorama knew that whatever she said it could damage the family name and destroy any possibility for Payal.

>>Oh, Mr. Malik. That is just some family stuff and pretty uninteresting for outsiders.<<

Manorama tried to lighten the air around them but it obviously didn't work because Mr. Malik's darkened eyes never changed. In fact, he looked pretty pissed, as if he wanted her out of his home and party. Instinctively Manorama knew that she needed to do something to change his mind, since she wanted for Payal to get all important connections for her future husband.