f i f t y - s i x

Chapter; Fifty-Six

Diagon Alley

It had been nearly a month since the whole incident at Bill's wedding. The remaining people were questioned by the death eaters about Harry's whereabouts. Obviously, the death eaters believed Hailey knew where Harry was but they later had to settle down as she really didn't know where Hermione had taken the boys.

Remus had invited Hailey to move in with him and Tonks which she gladly accepted. And to be honest, those were a few of the best times of her life. There was no awkwardness between any of them. Remus didn't particularly bring up the whole Horcrux thing knowing Hailey would be uncomfortable. Rather they spent time as a family. Something Hailey never experienced.

Like having a game night. Cooking together, cleaning together, eating together. They would sometimes stay up all night talking about anything and everything. When Tonks was at work, Remus told Hailey all about the marauders. He told her about her parents. Something she often didn't hear. She used to only hear about how brave her parents were. But from Remus, she heard their mischievous and reckless sides.

"And there was this one time, Prongs and Padfoot chased this cat all around the school, later to find out it was McGonagall. Merlin... Their faces. Got detention for a whole month."

She also heard a lot more about her mother. Lily and Remus used to be prefects in their fifth year. "She was a caring woman. Kind at heart. She even changed your father. I remember the day when your mum finally said yes to your dad. The lad didn't sleep the night and didn't let us sleep as well."

Hailey also found out one thing. Remus was not so goody two shoes after all. He was the basic mastermind behind all the pranks. He used to plan them out and the rest three were basically conducting them. "I work smarter not harder."

When Tonks would come back, they'd watch movies together. Tonks was a fun woman to be around. She was laid back, funny. She and Hailey got along good. And not to forget Munchkin, who had gotten a lot bigger. She was always around Hailey and Tonks. Unfortunately, she and Remus did not get along well.

"Your cat hates me. Just look how she's looking at me!" The man said while Tonks and Hailey were playing a round of wizarding chess. Hailey was pretty good at chess. She had to give all the credit to Ron for it. He was probably the best chess player she had ever seen and taught her a lot of tips and tricks.

"Munchkin doesn't hate you," Hailey said with a laugh petting the cat on her lap.

"Yes, she does. Why else would she look at me like that?"

"You're overreacting Remus let her be," Tonks said moving one of her pawns.

Hailey would visit the Weasleys quite often. Whenever Tonks and Remus had worked at the same time, they'd leave her with the Weasleys. And in the burrow, everything is a lot different from the Lupin household.

Mrs Weasley would cry a lot. She was worried about Ron, Harry and Hermione. The rest of them tried everything in their power to cheer her up. But they never really worked. "One of my sons already left. I can't lose another two. And Hermione, oh how is she going to handle everything? I'm glad at least you stayed behind Hailey." That was something that touched Hailey. Mrs Weasley considered them just like her children. It was nice.

Charlie was around the burrow a lot more than he used to be. He taught Ginny and Hailey self-defence moves. "Folk of the wizarding world are good with magic. None of them can go hand to hand. You have to use this to your advantage. Things go south? You take their wand, snap it and fistfight."

"Well, that's violence," Hailey said.

"And loads of work. I'll just take my wand and go Avada kedavra." Ginny added making Charlie roll his eyes.

"Well, that's cruel. Now shut up and put your fists up and punch me as hard as you can. Ginny first." He said. "Trust me, lasses. You'll be thanking me later."

Fred and George too were home a lot more. They had to close their shop. Though they still lived in their apartment upstairs of their store, they stayed at the burrow more. Mr Wealsey would return from the office and inform them about all the crazy things going on outside.

It was a dinner night. The Weasleys had invited Tonks, Remus and Hailey over. They all were having dessert when Mr Wealsey spoke up.

"Girls... You two may have to return to Hogwarts." He started.

"W-What?" Ginny asked.

"Yes. Almost everything is run by the death eaters. School, ministry... I heard death eaters are going home to home to bring all half-blood and pureblood students." He said with a sigh. The girls had gotten their Hogwarts letter, but they didn't respond thinking they won't be going back.

"No child of mine is going to Hogwarts this year." Mrs Weasley said sternly.

"What are you going to do when the death eater comes? We have no choice. They are children. They'll be safer at-"

"With Snape as their headmaster? No one is safe. Hailey is not going back to that place. Not until you know who is dead." Remus said putting his fork down. "I'll do everything possible to make sure of it."

"But what are we going to do?" Hailey asked. She didn't want to go back to Hogwarts. It was once her favourite place... Well, it still is. But she can't go back there knowing Snape had killed Dumbledore. Beside, she was slowly losing her power to fight back. She just didn't care.

"We can't just run. They'll find us." Ginny said leaning back on her chair agreeing with her.

"We just need some time to figure it out"

"But there is no time." Hailey interrupted Mr Weasley. "There never was, or there never will be enough time." She thought about all the times she, Ron, Harry and Hermione could've taken better decisions if they just had a few more days, a few more hours. "It's already 25th August. School starts on 1st September. They'll be showing up any minute."

"We'll use protection spells-"

"They run the ministry Remus," Ginny added. "Hailey right. We don't have time." She sighed fiddling with her fork. "Better we go without a fight... I mean, what can we do about it?"

"But it isn't safe there," George spoke up. "Fred? What do you say?"

"Nowhere is safe," Fred said with a sigh. He had gotten a lot quieter than he used to be. He was often found sulking on the sofa. He missed his brother, he missed Hermione. Though they broke up on mutual terms, Fred's feelings for her was still there. "I... I agree with the girls. What can we do?"

"So we just send you to Hogwarts just like that?" Tonks asked.

"Anyone got a better idea? I'm open for suggestions." Hailey said with a small shrug bringing the glass of water to her lips. The room was silent.

"So, we're going to Diagon Alley tomorrow?" Ginny asked.

"Looks like it to me Gins."

..................