s e v e n

Chapter: Seven
Eavesdrop

The next day Harry was pretty scared of Hailey. She was uncharacteristically quiet and slammed anything. Like how she slammed the book on the desk, or just while passing the salt in the dining hall. Everyone knew something was wrong.

"Hails, I was... I was wondering... If I should warn Cedric about the dragons." He muttered nervously. "You know, Fleur and Krum already know so it'll be fair if he knew..."

Hailey thought for a while. "Sure." She said with a small shrug. She shoved her astronomy books in her bag as they made their way over to Cedric. "You sure Krum and Fleur know? I'm not exactly in the mood to be the kindest right now."

"Positive." The boy nodded when a Hufflepuff pushed him over.

"Hey, Potter. Why don't you look at my badge."

"Excuse me," Harry said nicely and tried to walk past him but was stopped when two of his friends joined in.

"Listen here you little shits. You maybe be in the sixth year, but I don't care. Move. And if you don't, I'm gonna take that stupid badge of yours and shove it up your ass. Now have it your way." Hailey said with a really sour smile crossing her hands over her chest. The three of them shared a look before moving aside. "Good choice."

"That was harsh," Harry said nudging her slightly.

"The world is a harsh place. Deal with it brother dearest."

They spotted Cedric under a tree surrounded by Hufflepuffs who practically drooled seeing him. Truth be told Hailey did have a crush on him. He was nice. And it was the first time a boy paid attention to her. And it was someone like Cedric. Hailey was meant to feel butterflies. But with the recent events, she was kinda mad at him, though she knew it wasn't his fault.

"Uh Cedric, can we talk?" Harry asked as his friends snickered.

"Got a problem?" Hailey asked them giving them a look that made Harry want to crawl out of his skin and hide under the soil for the rest of his life.

"Sure," Cedric said getting up before walking aside. "What did you want to talk about?"

So Harry told him about the first task. He didn't quite want to believe him at first. But later seemed convinced. "And guys... I'm sorry about the badge. I told them not to wear it."

"It's okay," Harry said with a small nervous smile.

"Hailey, can I talk to you for a bit?" Cedric asked. The girl nodded and Harry left for going to his next class. "So how've you been?"

"Could've been doing better. But it's fine I guess." She replied with a small shrug. "What about you? How's your preparation for the first task?"

"I honestly don't know." The boy shrugged running his hands through his brown hair. "And you know... I'm so sorry about what my friends do. I honestly asked them to stop so many times-"

"Cedric... It's fine." She finally cracked a smile.

"No, it's not. Honestly, you are so nice to me. And you're kinda getting a backlash for something that I'm related to... If that made sense." He said scratching the back of his neck.

"You're such a Hufflepuff." She laughed. "But no worries. It's all good. Now go and start preparing for the task tomorrow puff puff."

"That's a horrible nickname."

"See you later puff puff!" She yelled making the boy laugh as she left to get to the greenhouse. She stopped in her tracks when she saw a white ferret turn into a... Draco Malfoy? "What the actual hell..."

"My father will hear about this!" Said boy yelled as he got up from the ground dusting off his clothes. Students around them laughed out loud seeing the scene.

"Is that a threat boy!?" Professor Moody asked chasing after him.

"What part of the joke did I just miss?" Hailey asked as Harry clutched his face from laughing.

"The best part." He said wiping the corner of his eyes.

"No fair. I always miss the fun." She muttered with a pout as he stuck his tongue out to her. Only to receive a smack at the back of his head.

"What was that for-"

"Harry Potter!" Professor Moody exclaimed. "Need a word with you. At my office." The twins shared a glance as the boy was dragged away by their teacher.

Weird man.

As Hailey walked she felt a presence behind her. It took Hailey no time to understand who it was. She sighed trying to ignore him. He's just walking to his class Hailey. Don't be a prick. You have the same classes.

But he's annoying.

All of a sudden she stopped in her tracks and looked back at the boy with narrow eyes. "Hailey hi..." He muttered slowly.  "How've you been?" Rolling her eyes she continued to walk. "Hey look. I know you're mad but-"

"Stop it Ron. Honestly just stop." She said turning around to face him. "I'm so done with this shit- I am a human too and I need a break. I'm so done with you being rude to me, so done with Harry's tantrums... Just. Just leave me alone."

"But I'm so-

"Sorry?" She asked with a dry laugh. "Are you really? You know what- You're forgiven. Just let me be."

Ron stood there and watched her get inside the greenhouse without another word. He wanted her to shout at him. Do or say anything. But he knew he messed up big times.

He took a deep and shoved his hands in his pocket before walking in. His eyes wandered off to Hailey who was talking with Hermione. Her eyes lost their sparks as she spoke.

"Alright there mate?" Seamus said standing beside him.

"Dunno... I feel bad. I did something horrible. And I don't know how to apologize."

"I suppose Hailey's involved?" He asked. Ron opened his mouth to ask how he knew but stopped himself. "Blimey! It does!"

"Oi. Keep your voice down. She'll hear you."

"Nah she's too busy listening to Sprout. You know, good student behaviours. We won't get it." He laughed. "Anyways, go and apologize to her. Explain yourself properly."

"She doesn't even want to see my face. I'm scared she might hex me the next time I come in her two feet radius." He replied running his finger through his hair letting out a groan in frustration. "Merlin... Even I hate myself for how rude I was..."

Little did he know that Hailey wasn't actually paying attention to the class... Rather she was eavesdropping on their conversation. A small smile curved on her lips as she shook her head going back to her work.

This boy...

__________