t h i r t y

Chapter: Thirty

Vertaserum

"Hello, Ms Potter. Please take a seat." Umbridge said with a sickly sweet smile. "How are you? How was your Christmas break? I never really get much time to talk with the students you see."

"I'm quite good. Thank you." Hailey said with a confused smile. "And, I had a good Christmas... Umm did I do something wrong, Professor?"

"Of course not Ms Potter, why would you even think that?" She said with a giggle. "Do you like milk with your tea? Sugar?" She asked looking up at her. Hailey shifted uncomfortably as she gripped the corner of the seat. Why was she offering her tea?

"Uh... Sure..." She said. This was it. This was the end. She was going to be the reason everyone's else got detention... Or worse. Expelled. Damn. She sounds like Hermione. She shook her leg aggressively as she watched Umbridge pass her the cup. Breathe in. Breathe out. She extended her hand to take it.

"How are your classes? I see you do pretty good in my subject. I've heard the same from professor McGonagall too... But I heard you're not doing good in potions and are quite distracted in class." She said sipping her tea. She looked at the girl's uncomfortable position. "Oh Ms Potter. No need to be so stiff. You can drink the tea. There's nothing in it."

Liar.

Merlin. I never did anything wrong. Okay, maybe once or twice. But please forgive me for all of those and save me.

Hailey brought the cup to her lips and took a sip. The first thing that came to her mind was- TOO MUCH SUGAR! She liked sugar with her tea, but this was a bit too much for her liking. "I'm not good at potions."

"What do you think about your professor Trelawney's class?" She asked.

"I actually don't have divination."

"Alright, then how about professor Snape?"

"I hate his classes." She said even before she could stop herself. SHE HAD MIXED THE TRUTH SERUM! The rumours were true. Everything was over. She's going to ask her about DA and she will give away everything.

"That's not the first time I heard this." She said with giggling. "So, Ms Potter. You're brother... He's always been sort of a rebel. Is he doing anything, that he shouldn't?"

"Uh...No. He isn't." Well, in her opinion. Dumbledore's Army was something that was very needed.

"Let's be a bit more specific, shall we?" Umbridge said with a very straight face as she leaned forward to keep strong eye contact. "Is Mr Potter doing anything that I or the ministry strongly said not to? Cause I've heard some strange things from Mr Malfoy."

Hailey gulped as she bit her tongue and stared at her professor, whose blue eyes were staring back at her hazel ones, waiting for an answer. Her back was completely pressed against the chair as she took a deep breath. If she told her, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Fred, George, Ginny, Colin, Luna, Neville, Dean and all of her friends would at least get detention. There was a ninety percent chance Harry would get expelled.

"No." Hailey found herself saying.

"No?"

"No." She said shaking her head slightly.

"Well, in that case..." Umbridge looked like she was at a loss for words. So was Hailey. How did she lie? "We can just finish our tea before you leave. Wouldn't want you to be out after curfew." She said, the fake smile back on her toad-like face creeping out the girl even more.

Hailey drank her tea in one go as she got up quickly. "I would love to stay longer, but unfortunately I have some homework left. So I should leave."

"Yes, of course," Umbridge said as she stood up. "And Ms Potter." She said once more. Hailey, who was about to open the door stopped before turning around to face her.

"Yes?"

"Focus on your studies more than you do on Mr Weasley."

What the hell?! She was taken back by her words but left without taking the conversation any further. Umbridge should get an award for being the creepiest and not to forget bitchiest professor.

As soon as Hailey walked into the Gryffindor common room, she was faced with almost all of the Gryffindor, DA members.

"Hailey, what happened?!"

"Did she make you use that bloody quill?!"

"Did Umbridge give you the truth serum?!"

"Did you tell her about DA?!"

"Did you-"

"Can you guys let me bloody breath?!" She yelled stopping everyone. She took another deep breath pinching the bridge of her nose. "I'm fine. And no I didn't tell her anything okay? Now go back to your works. I have homework to finish. I'll be in our dorm room."

Harry and Ron shared a look as they watched her walk past them.

"I'll see what happened," Hermione said going after her leaving two very confused boys.

"What do you think happened?" Ron asked Harry as he still stared at the place where Hailey was a few minutes ago. If Umbridge did anything to her, he wouldn't mind going all Avada kedavra on her. He doesn't care if it's illegal or not.

"I... I don't know."

______________________

"So... Let's go over this one more time. Professor Umbridge gave you tea, and there was veritaserum in it?" Hermione asked as Hailey nodded aggressively. They were both sitting on her bed. Thankfully Parvati and Lavender were not in the room so they could talk properly without being overheard or interrupted.

"Yes."

"Then?"

"She asked me about classes. And I answered them truthfully. But it was like I didn't have control over it. It just rolled out of my tongue as if it was natural. I told her that I hate Snape's class." Hailey said making loads of hand gestures. "It's the truth, but I would never say that in front of a professor."

"And then?"

"Then she asked me if Harry was doing anything he shouldn't and... I-I said no-"

"You lied?" Hermione whispered as she nodded again. " But that's not possible."

"Exactly. But- but I don't know how... But it just happened."

"Did you feel anything unusual?"

"Except freaking out? No."

"I..." Hermione thought for a while. She had never read anywhere about this. Well, it was impossible... Or did she know wrong? She looked up at Hailey to see her staring back at her with anticipation.

"Can you look in the library or anything?"

"Yeah. I'll look into it."

"And don't, by any means tell this to Ron or Harry. They'll freak out. And I hate it when they freak out. Just tell them I was tired or something."

"Your secret is safe with me," Hermione said as Hailey finally cracked a smile hugging her. She was glad she had this girl in her life.

"Thank you."

"Anytime."