f o r t y - o n e

Chapter: Forty-one

Love

Hailey sat at Ron's bed as she stared off into space. Her legs were pulled close to her chest. She rested her chin on her knees. She came to the burrow about three, four weeks ago? Or maybe month, she wasn't quite sure. She remembered her time in St Mungo's. She used to receive letters and gifts every single day. Some were from her known friends from Hogwarts, and some were from people she never heard of before. They were all get well soon letters.

People finally started to believe Harry's words. Voldemort was indeed back. Took them long enough to finally admit it. Hailey wasn't allowed to read the newspaper. But she had one day sneaked in the newspaper Mrs Wealsey was reading. She remembered being shocked. Her picture was on the front page. They called her the girl who fought.

It was like she was their hope.

Little kids wrote to her about how they admired her. How they wanted to be like her when they grew up. But Hailey didn't want them to be like her. She wanted those children to have a normal life. She wanted them to be with their loved ones, she wanted them to sleep at night without having nightmares.

She didn't want them to be weak like her.

"You Hailey Potter, you're the weakest person I know." Said Aurora Phoenix who was crouching beside her to look her in the eye. "I swear, I've seen smaller kids than you, stronger than you."

"I-I'm not weak." Hailey managed to choke out as blood spluttered out of her mouth.

"Oh Potter, do you know who the strongest person on earth is?" The woman asked standing up as she twirled her wand. "Someone who has nothing to lose." She walked around her in circles. "And you, you've lost so much... Yet, you've got so much to lose.

Love makes one weak."

"Hailey." A voice said making her flinch. She looked up to see George standing there in the doorway. "Were you crying?"

"What no." She said slightly shaking her head. "I'm just not used to these glasses and all. I don't know why my eyes are just a lot itchier than before." She got up from the bed and straightened her clothes. She had been needing glasses recently. And it was a good excuse to cover up her tears. "So when did you guys come back from work?"

"Oh just about ten minutes back." He replied leaning against the doorframe. "There was a rush at the last moment. That's why took us longer than usual to close up." The twins most of the days came back to the burrow after closing their shop to spend time with Hailey. They didn't want her to feel alone. But it wasn't much use as she spent most of the time sitting in Ron's room alone. She came down only while eating or when Remus came over. She did spend time with the twins. But they knew.

Hailey wasn't the same.

She rarely made a sarcastic remark. She flinched at the slightest noise. She didn't talk much. She never gave a real smile. She didn't laugh like she used to. It all looked fake. It was almost like she was trying to convince herself that she was okay.

"Anyways, dinners being served. Remus and Tonks are gonna join us for dinner." George said moving his body from the doorframe. "Do you wanna come down?"

"Yeah. I'll be there in five." She said. He gave her a small smile. Hailey tried to reciprocate it, but it was almost impossible for her.

"Oh by the way," George said who came back. He took out a letter from his pocket and handed it to her. "Ron wrote to you. He addressed it to the burrow. But poor old Errol must've mistaken, and bought it to the shop. Here."

"Thanks." She sat back down on the bed opening the envelope.

Dear Hails,

So, I got your letter the day before yesterday. And I was happy to hear that you were doing okay. But the letter mum sent us told us the complete opposite. She said you've locked yourself in my room. You barely eat or talk. You can't do this to yourself, love. I want to be there for you, but you know I can't come back before Christmas break. I'm sorry I'm not there. Just a few more weeks I promise. Then I'll be back. We all will be. But for now, please take care of yourself. You have to eat and sleep properly. Do it for yourself. Or at least do it for me. Do it for your brother or Hermione. We don't want to lose you again.

That's all. Stay safe. Hope to see you soon.

Love always,
Ronald

Hailey closed her eyes as she bit her lips. She sucked in a deep breath keeping the letter on Ron's table before going downstairs.

"Wotcha Hailey," Tonks said giving her a small side hug. She moved to the side to hug Remus before she sat down beside Fred on the dining table. As they all began eating Hailey wondered if she should say it or not.

"I um... Was thinking about something." She started as all of them looked at her. "I uh... Actually wanted to go to Diagon Alley."

"Absolutely dear." Mrs Weasley said smiling up at her. She didn't expect her to say that. But she was glad that Hailey wanted to go outside the house. "But why Diagon Alley all of a sudden?"

"I-I actually need a new wand... And I haven't visited Freddie and Georgie's joke shop yet... So I thought I could go there." She said with a small shrug. She watched as both the boys share a look grinning.

"We can come along with you if you want," Remus said.

"If you guys want then, yeah sure."

"Merlin you've finally listened to our prayers," Fred said shaking his head holding his hands up. "We were waiting for you to come to our shop."

"Yes, you didn't see all of of our new products-"

And the brother went on and on about their new products. Hailey's lips curved into a small smile. The death eater was right. Love does make one weak. Cause she wasn't doing it for herself.

She was doing it for all of loved ones.

..........................................................