73 || Tears

But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more.

- Hans Christian Andersen

'•'•'•

She left.

His heart contained to beat but he knew it was just a machine now that continued to operate.

So this is what she felt when he left decisively, it felt like his soul was crushed and he just wanted to turn back time but there's no cure for regrets. He can only swallow the bitter taste of his self-made suffering.

He didn't notice that his pack members arrived nor did he see the number of expressions displayed on their faces when they see him with his head down, still like a statue.

"Follow me Lukka" Maico ordered and he stood up, his towering figure almost hindering their sight, and proceeds to follow Maico.

The others dispersed, Luna held her children who were filled with questions in their eyes and told them gently of what had happened. Hati with her scorn-filled eyes left to run to Selene's side and her brothers decide to go to their rooms.

"This is why I don't want to have a mate yet, thank the moon that I haven't found mine" Skoll muttered just as he was slapped in the back by Fenrir.

"That's great thinking brother! Women are a pain-" he felt his back being burned with a smoldering stare by Luna and changed his words. "- I mean it wouldn't be good for you to be like Lukka! You should be responsible for your mate!"

He didn't wait for his twin's response and dragged him to play Mario Kart in their room.

"Those two never changed" Luna shook her head before looking down at her sons. "You must live and respect your mate do you hear me? They are the moon's gift, one that would complete your soul"

"Yes mother" they listened carefully, they have regarded their mother as their mentor even though their mind is already that of a hundred years old.

Meanwhile, at the office of Maico, Lukka was seated with his head down while Maico looked at him in helplessness before asking him straightforwardly.

"What are your plans now Lukka?"

If he leaves Selene would suffer, they have to be together and the absence of the other would just weaken the state of another. It wasn't advisable to be away from their mates, Lukka could barely hold himself up and had to tie himself with silver chains to be able to stay away from Selene when he first found her.

"I don't know, what should I do?"

His voice was filled with loss, he was desperate for solutions for his greediness that resulted in destruction.

He was driven by his inner desire, years of training, and trying to be a better man and control his beast went down the drain the moment he relished on his desire.

He was a disappointment.

"You either leave or take her with you"

It was up to him to choose the former of the latter, no matter the persuasion that will be told to him all of it will still be decided by him alone.

"What are you up to these past eight years?" He wanted to know what his right hand did for the past eight years that made him never look back once to this place.

"Training, fighting, that's about it" his soulless reply, he was still in the midst of chaos.

"What did Rosette ask you to do?"

His eyes that were now pitch black stared at him and he decided to just tell the truth.

"She's being hunted by the witch's mother that we killed, now they have cursed themselves and are now fighting to the death. I couldn't leave, I still have two years unless..." He trailed off, it was impossible, what Rosette wanted was impossible even for her.

"Unless what?" Maico leaned in and asked.

"Unless I get her a tear of a mermaid"

It was needed for Rosette to undo the curse that was given to her, she only has two years till the curse swallowed all of her power and left her living like the human she despises.

"Mermaid?! They're extinct, how could you even find one?!"

Mermaids once roamed the ocean, their tears were said to be a treasure that wasn't easily given to anyone.

He knew that's why he didn't leave yet, but then again his mate would suffer and on the other hand, would face countless dangers when she comes with him.

She's right, he's a coward and he would be glad to have that title if it means she's alive.

"I'll ask some of the leaders but I can't guarantee I'll find one" Maico grouped his shoulder and proceeds to hug him,  it has been a long time since he has seen his pack members.

For werewolves, time is just air, invisible yet you could feel it. He didn't give much care to it, for him it was just staying in a place for hundred years but now that he's a part of his pack, being alone couldn't comfort his wolf that longs for his pack.

They sat again and continued their talk, they harvested a plan to search for the continent and towards the leaders of some pack since they have been living for so long they may have known of people having heard of a mermaid.

Hopelessness filled the room and that was what they thought would be in the next few hours when Luna came knocking into the door with a vial in her hand.

"I heard you needed a tear?"

His head whiplashed into her direction and saw the vial glowing in her hands, the hope that was extinguished in his eyes lit up again making him stand up on his feet.

"Is it?" He couldn't say it, he was afraid that he would experience that sinking feeling of being crushed by his expectations again.

"It is" Luna smiled with conviction and his eyes redden, he stared at the glowing vial and couldn't believe his eyes.

"It's real right?" He still couldn't help but ask, he wanted to make sure that he was not dreaming.

He was then punched by Luna on the stomach, he didn't avoid it and that's when the pain traveled to his mind that he finally knew he is living in reality.

"That's for leaving the pack and Selene" Luna still smiled gently but her eyes were cold as they pierced him.

"How did you get that in your hand, Luna?" Maico asked in curiosity, it was basically impossible to see a mermaid let alone have its tears given to you.

"I helped one, let's just say it was a very adventurous mermaid that walked into the land and met some thieves and saved her along the way" she simply explained, it's not uncommon for mermaids at that time to walk into land and study it.

"Now that everything is settled, we will give this to Rosette in hopes to set you free and reunite with your mate" Maico announced and his heart blooms, his wolf yelp in happiness and he couldn't agree more with it.

This time, he will use his entire life to make up for her.

***
Chapter 73 is up! Hope you like this everyone!

Stay safe and healthy! Have a great day!

Make sure to VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!