29 || Lost people

The fear of loss . . . it can destroy you as much as the loss itself.

- Sarah J. Maas

'•'•'•

She didn't wake up in cold sweat with a nightmare haunting her, it was weird but she didn't look further much into it, the police department has finally taken action after a week-long of stillness. Posters of missing people are plastered in every part of the town, search parties were made as they travel from every corner of the town as they tried their luck to find some clue about the missing people.

It has come to the point that every parent takes their child to school and takes them back home. The sheriff has already sent a squad of police officers to take posts in every lane and ordered a curfew at night to prevent people from leaving their homes late at night.

The town today was shrouded in panic and fear, maybe that's one of the reasons why the police decided to hide the cases of missing persons living in this town, and the fact that there's a rising number of people missing gets everyone into terror.

Mrs. Alberts didn't call me for work and instead let me work in my home, the forest was also off-limits and the tourists that were scheduled to come here would be rescheduled for another time.

Mom and dad were especially strict with George knowing he's kind of reckless and some of his close friends don't really have the best of tracks in their history.

"Come on Selene!" I went down and waved dad goodbye, Mom had to leave the house quite early since the curfew limits the time where people could be out.

"Just order some pizza or anything George, I have something to do" I informed George who just nodded at me, his eyes trained at the screen where Zack Efron acts as a lifeguard.

I had to go to the pack to tell them about the situation in this town. Soon, I find myself seating beside Hati who's the whole being was wrapped in red as the class's eyes especially the males have their eyes on her, our new classmate.

"Hi, I'm Hati, nice to meet you all!" Her cherry rogued lips widen into a smile as her pearly whites peeked.

"Hati? That's a unique name, perfect for a beautiful girl like you" Bert, one of the self-proclaimed popular guys with a track record of being a womanizer, said and winked at her.

I rolled my eyes, Hati just gracefully thanked him and didn't reply anymore, I purse my lips in a smile seeing the awkwardness that fell on his face. He must think that every girl would fall for that lousy pickup line he probably got from the internet.

Thankfully, our professor entered and soon we were given another research assignment that could probably give me a headache. It was due three days and thank God it's for two people.

"I'll take you" I called dibs to Hati early on while she nodded.

Our professor started his lecture when the door opened and a guy barged in which our professor glared his eyes on.

"Fancy seeing you Mr. Morterl" his sarcasm drips out loud it could be heard clearly.

"Traffic" his voice was rough and on edge, it looks like he's not in a good state and our professor must have seen it so he didn't push him anymore.

"Take a seat then and please, do not come to my class if you're late again" he then proceeds to look at us and continued his lecture.

A couple of minutes passed and I still cannot get myself to focus on my class and so I turn to look at what Hati's doing and saw her looking at something. Her eyes were focused on one corner and when I looked, it was someone she's staring intensely at.

It was a guy in our class, the guy who was late, his hood hides his features but the tremors in his hand couldn't be hidden even in my low vision, what more to Hati with heightened senses.

"What's wrong?"

"Bitten wolf" she whispered and I froze, I never thought that I would face that nightmare again moreover in my class. My body felt like it was submerged in an ice bath and I couldn't move.

Memories of that night flashed into my eyes and I kept on hearing that awful roar of that monster that I didn't even know that our professor was standing there with his brows furrowed darkly at me.

"Ms. Berklin can you please repeat what I've just said?" His eyes were piercing and I gulped. It's the first time that I get to be called by my teacher because I wasn't listening to the lecture and I feel my entire face burning in embarrassment at the countless eyes that stared at me.

I felt my hand being pulled and saw Hati's handwriting on paper. Thankfully I managed to form a coherent sentence and sighed in relief after seeing him nod.

He didn't comment further but the annoyance in his eyes was visible, the entire hour I sat on pins and needles, my eyes never landing on that specific person- well, soon to be a monstrous animal type of person. I grimace at that thought, just on the description of Lukka get shivers down my spine, what more seeing one in front of me with clueless folks chokes the fear back.

We have to get him out of this town, never did I even dared to think about the ending for him but I still feel bugs crawling in me as my conscience kept on attacking me.

Guilt and pity would not lend us to safety, they should handle this bitten wolf or many more people will be affected.

As much as the guilt floods in my veins, I didn't felt appalled at the idea that I'm helping another kind and not my kind. It wasn't their fault and they have already given their words that they would protect this town and the people living inside of it.

The entire day my head was filled with horrors of what could happen and the casualties that any person living here might face if we didn't stop that wolf who kept on harming humans.

"I have already contacted the pack, they'll take him down for questioning first" Hati informed me and I was glad that the pack has already prepared to take him down.

Replacing myself as one of the people I love facing that horrible monster grips me in fear, Hati must have sensed the fear in me the way she comforted me with the way her hand grip mine.

"I wish you'll finish this" I murmured, the fear still intact in my tone.

"We will Selene, we definitely will" she promised, her eyes stared right through me, and I finally responded with a smile.

***
Chapter 29 is out! Hope you like this chapter!

Have a great day everyone and stays safe!

Make sure to VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!