14 || Getting to know the pack

Wolves did not keep secrets from one another. They didn’t worry about having enough money or finishing school or winning races. They didn’t interfere with nature and have to figure out what was too much and what was enough. They were nature.

- C.D. Bell, Chimera

'•'•'•

It was a mansion hidden from the depths of the forest surrounded by nature that preserves its historical structure. It was clear that it has suffered strong summers and freezing winters, encompassing a vast space that was big enough to house a farm. The house itself was gigantic, the smell of the woods along with the aroma of food and the natural fragrance that exudes out of their bodies.

Through the crystal chandeliers and towards the large Victorian windows one can see the roses, daisies, and camellia flowers that filled the flower bed situated outside of the house along with a willow tree where a pond was built containing aquatic life. 

Wooden doors carved in monstrous and artistic wolves along with some small-scale statues that emit wealth were seen all over the place. The soft glow of the lamps lead us to a familiar hallway,  the room that I have stayed in was still there as if nothing has changed. With a few steps, we have reached the dining room where a long wooden prime table was seen along with centuries worth of chairs and ceramics.

"Selene, it's nice to meet you again and we finally knew your name" It was her, the woman with the same aura as her mother.

"Thank you for letting me in and I'm sorry for leaving just like that"

"It's alright dear, I have yet to introduce myself as well, I'm Luna Lykaios" she smiled and I feel calmness washing over away the anxiety that still thrums in my veins.

It's weird, she's so welcoming, I know that wolves are territorial and they do not take it kindly when someone trespasses on their territory. But I guess my knowledge of wolves wouldn't quite be a good comparison to creatures such as them who understood the human way of living.

"Selene Berklin is my name, Luna" name represents the moon in Latin, the same as I whose name corresponds to the lunar goddess Selene and the personification of the moon in  Greek.

"We have the same meaning of names, Selene" the stiffness in my limbs grew weary and I soon got comfortable with her after our conversation. She has that same feeling that my mother elicits but it was different, the feeling that I get from her was more like a calming medicine that soothes away my anxiety, fear and comforts me like a blanket enveloping me that has gathered the sun's heat.

"It's not fair that you're on a first-name basis, what about me? Poor young lady, I'm the only maiden here amongst brutish men, oh!" It was Hati, she and her brothers had their eyes glinting in mischievousness after hearing what I've said earlier.

I almost thought they wanted to laugh and mock me or worse, throw me out of the forest and never come back again.

"Eh, what about me? Don't you want to get to know me better too?" Skoll, one of the triplets, and the guy who winked at me came up to my side making me flinched.

I'm not used to boys paying attention to me and vice versa, I never had the idea of flirting with the attractive guys in my school (even though the men that I have seen here was much more attractive than those popular groups) and never did I felt any attraction for them. Maybe that's why Everlyn thought that I'll never get to experience the full high school life but honestly, I would rather go home to my books than mingle with them.

I just don't like humans, I know how ironic of me to think that, I mean I don't like certain humans. Those certain humans were just too cruel to animals and nature itself that I feel ashamed to be in the same group as them.

"Are you thinking of Lukka?" A hot puff of breath passed my ears making it tingle from itchiness as I glared at Fenrir, the triplets names correspond to the Norse gods where Fenrir is the Norse God of wolves and the two is his children.

All of their names seem to have a relation to wolves themselves across various mythologies. 

"I'm just thinking about your names" I replied, pushing down the irritation that threatened to let go after seeing the flash of teasing in Fenrir's eyes. Seriously, he told me he was the eldest yet he was the most immature out of the three. 

"It's where we come from, those names were taken from where we originally lived, to retain something that we could at least remember always" Luna calmly explained and I get the feeling that they must have lived for years, heck maybe even centuries.

We sat down after Luna, I reckon she's the alpha female of this small pack and their young were the two children she bore. I don't even think that they have a relation to each other, they're just the same kin, nothing much more complicated like human relations.

I was seated beside Luna's twins, Romulus and Remus and in front of me was Hati, on her left is Fenrir and on her right is Skoll who kept on moaning as he eats his steak which earned a scoff of disgust from Hati.

"Finally, the man we've been waiting for is here!" I saw Fenrir looked at me and I irritatingly cut the steak in front of me as if imagining it was his face. He's really getting on my nerves, he's like my younger brother honestly.

Even if my eyes were still on my plate, I could feel the air changing and feel the fast beating of my heart that no doubt they would hear. I gripped my knife more after hearing Fenrir's laughter.

"Enough" his voice sent shivers to my spine and I don't know if it was from fear or something else, nonetheless, we continued with our meal.

It was silence, only the sound of utensils clanging and soft sounds of chewing can be heard when all of a sudden, Hati with mirth in her eyes asked a question directed to me.

"So Selene, have you ever had sex before?"

And with that, I accidentally burst into shock and almost coughed my lungs out after hearing Hati's question. Fenrir and Skoll burst into a fit of laughter as Luna sighed as she looked at the three mischievous children before looking at her stoic children and the growling Lukka.

Oh goodness, I think I'll have a slight problem ietting that goal I just said. 

***
Chapter 14 is out! Hope you like this chapter!

Have a great day everyone and stays safe!

Make sure to VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!