Raye Penber's Report

Start from the beginning

"I hope you understand that this is very VERY sensitive information that cannot be discussed out of this room with ANYONE except L himself," He said in a strict tone, sweat dripping down his forehead in the air-conditioned room, his heart rate visibly picking up, and his voice shaky, as his eyes narrowed at Kiyo. The girl only nodded with an equally grim expression making Kitamura nod back and leave the room, shutting the door behind him. As soon as Kitamura left, Kiyo sighed as a small pout took over her expression.

"I don't even understand what is so sensitive about this information," Kiyo muttered only loud enough for the two to hear, "The agents are dead, and this is just what Raye saw while he was trailing Light. Everyone's acting like this is Japan's plan to take over the world or something." She huffed, making Matsuda chuckle softly.

Silence took over as the two focused on going through the files in front of them. Matsuda and Kiyo both looked through each detail of each file without even so much as glancing at anything else. Minutes turned into hours, and now, Matsuda was beginning to give up. Could finding anything at all really be expected from this when surveillance cams and wiretaps didn't reveal anything?

Just as he was about to announce his thoughts, a strange entry in the report caught his eye,

20/12/2006
Bus-jacking - Bus 174 going to Space Land.
Bus-Jacker - Kiichiro Osoreda, wanted criminal
Dies from a car accident while trying to escape his hallucination
Zero casualties, Suspect unharmed.

"U-um, Kiyo?" Matsuda softly asked as she turned to look at him.

"Yes?"

"I wouldn't really say it's strange or weird, but here's an unusual occurrence in the records. It's something about a bus-jacking," Matsuda slid the file into Kiyo's lap as she read it. It wasn't something that really stood out as being suspicious according to Matsuda, but before coming here Kiyo had clearly instructed Matsuda on what she was looking for.

"If you see absolutely anything in the report other than stuff that would happen every day, other than something that would be considered 'normal' in an everyday life of a usual high school student, you will bring it to my attention immediately. Do you understand?"  Were her words to be exact.

Matsuda saw how Kiyo seemed to have sat up slightly while reading the information. Her eyebrows furrowed and he noticed the movement of her thumbs as she bit her lip in concentration.

"Now that's a bit weird, isn't it?"

"What's weird?"

"That something as unheard of as a 'bus jacking' would happen coincidentally when Raye and Light are on the same bus? What makes this even weirder is the bus jacker having hallucinations and dying in the process of escaping from it.." Kiyo said, still looking at the file in front of her with narrowed eyes and furrowed brows.

"Kiyo, I think you're just reading too much into this," Matsuda said after a while, "I understand that this isn't a normal occurrence, but Raye's final verdict was that Light is innocent. As for the hallucinations, the culprit here was a drug addict. It could all just actually be a big coincidence."

"That's what we're here for isn't it? To find out if things happened by chance or they were meant to happen that way. I may be reading too much into this, and I most probably am wrong. The chances of something like this being an elaborate setup orchestrated by Light are even lower than the chances of finding a needle in a haystack, but what if, just what if those chances prove to be true?"

This wasn't any good. Matsuda knew where Kiyo was coming from, he knew what she meant, but he didn't want to waste any time on this probably wild goose chase. However, who was he kidding? Puppy eyes were always his weak spot, and now when they were coming from a girl, the pretty smart girl sitting right next to him might I add, he was sure even L couldn't have resisted them.