46

[FLASH BACK]
Bavana Brown (Boop)

"Where are we going, Mommy?" I looked up at her as she walked briefly down the street while holding my hand.

"Mommy just needs to pick up her medication, honey."

The street we was on looked even worse then the hood we live in. It was dark, disgusting, and crackheads everywhere.

We walked into a building where there were guys all around and a kid sitting on the couch.

"Go sit down while Mommy does what she needs to do, Bavana." She waved me off to go to the couch. I walked over to the couch and sat down next to the kid.

"Wassup." He said. "You tryna buy some shit too?"

"No, I'm only eight. I don't need medication." I looked at him.

"Medication?" He laughed. "That's not what this is."

"What is it then?" I looked at him with curiosity.

"Shit for adults who go through some bullshit." He shook his head pulling out some bags out his pocket. The same bags my mom brings into the house.

"You sell those?" I picked up the bag and he snatched it from me.

"Hell yeah. You never heard of Nas?" He laughed. "Don't be touching my shit either."

"Nas?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "My Mommy said something about someone named Nas. I didn't expect them to be my age."

"Okay, Bavana, time to go." She ran over and grabbed my hand, snatching me off the couch.

"But, I wanna talk to my friend." I whined.

"You'll see your friend in a week!" We left out the building and was back on the nasty, dirty streets again.

Next week came by and I saw Nas again.

"Hey Nas!" I ran over to the couch with a Barbie doll. "Look! She looks just like me!"

"Nah." He shook his head. "Fuck that Barbie doll."

"Why you so mean?" I pouted and sat on the couch next to him.

"I ain't. I'm just telling you. That Barbie doll ain't finna make you no money and it won't be by your side forever. Stick with me, and I'll be by your side forever." He held his hand out for a dap up.

I thought about and threw the Barbie doll away as I dapped him up.

"Why don't you go to school?"

"Because this is my school." He looked over at me.

"No it's not. You should come to school with me. It'll be so much fun!" I smiled and he cracked a small smile that faded away quickly.

"I got business to handle. Plus, who the hell gon enroll me in school? My mother left me."

"I'll help you get into school! My Mommy can help!" I smiled and my mom turned around since she heard her name. She walked over to me and slapped me across my face.

"Why are you speaking to strangers? You don't know him!" She grabbed my arm, yanking me off the couch and I couldn't even say bye to Nas.

The next week came and my mother left me in the house. I was sad I couldn't see my new friend while she got her medication.

One day after school, I decided to take the trip up there myself. When I arrived, I entered the building to see Nas on the couch, per usual.

"Hey Nas!" I ran over and a man grabbed me.

"Who the fuck are you?" He spat.

"Aye chill, she my friend." Nas said. "She's good." The man rolled his eyes and let me over to Nas. "Where you been? I ain't see you when your mom came."

"My Mommy doesn't want me coming here anymore." I sighed and sat on the couch next to him. "I'm going to help you get into school. You said you'll stick by my side forever and I wanna stick by yours too!"

"You really gon help me get into school?" He looked at me and I nodded. "Ard, anything's possible then. Good lookin out, lil sis."

"Lil sis? We're not related." I scrunched my face up.

"We are now." He dapped me up. "You should get outta here before your mom finds out."

"Okay. See you tomorrow!" I ran out the door and home as fast as I could.

It took some time but, I got Nas into school with me after some forgery and paperwork that I sent in to the school.

I came back after a week and saw Nas on the couch again, counting his money.

"I did it!" I ran over to him, smiling.

"You did what?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I got you into school! I told you I could do it." I smiled and he smiled too.

"When do I start?"

"Bright and early tomorrow morning at eight. I better see you there!" I mugged him. "Or else you're not my brother no more."

"Ard, I'll be there." He laughed. "Man, you real cool. I respect that."

I smiled and left out, running home as fast as I could.

The next day, Nas was at school. Everyday we ate lunch together, played at recess, and we just grew very close.

I actually had a sibling! Kind of?