14.

Bavana Brown (Boop)

"So honey, when am I going to meet this Rylo guy?" My mom was making me eat dinner with her since I've been with Rylo for a while. She does these random check-ups on my life as if she cares.

"I don't know." I shrugged as I put some injera in my mouth.

"Bavana Brown!"

"Ma, what is it going to take for you to just call me fucking Boop?"

"I'm not calling you that! It's a very pretty nickname but I named you Bavana so that's what I will call you. You are my beautiful girl. My only girl. I just want you to be safe." She sighed.

Honestly, fuck all this shit. I wanted to meet up with Tee, Nas, and Jamir but Jamir with Cellie and I know Tee and Nas on dumb shit.

"Alright, I'll let you meet him. Soon."

"Thank you baby. Please stop using that foul language too. I really don't appreciate it."

"It's who I am." She glared at me. "But for you, I'll try."

"Are you still doing drugs?"

"Mom, can we enjoy this damn dinner? I only smoke weed, calm down." I rolled my eyes.

Last year, hardcore drugs were my life. I did LSD tabs, opioids, xans, percs, really whatever I could get my hands on. Nobody never really knew because I was still also smoking. Most people thought my high was from weed but no, it was more than that. Until my dumbass took too many and overdosed.

Growing up, I watched my mother do everything to kill herself. I figured if she wants to do it, why shouldn't I want to do it? It sounds really bad but my mother was all I had and to think she was trying to kill herself and leave me here. By myself. I wanted to go with her.

But unlike me, she learned to quit. Never touched a drug since then. But me, I continued. She never knew I did them and I didn't want her to know. Shit, no one knew but me. Jamir, Nas, and Tee still don't know.

"How's work?" I switched the topic quick so she could get off my back.

"Fine. You know I deal with the craziest clients." She giggled but I didn't laugh. My mom was a nail tech, reasons why I still live in the hood.

"Mom, are you doing drugs?" I looked at her with a smirk. She instantly dropped her fork.

"Bavana Brown, I want you out my damn house. Now!" She yelled. "How dare you ask a question like that to me!"

"Now you know how it fucking feels." I shrugged and continued to eat my food.

"I said, get out my house."

"I'm not leaving. All you're going to do is call the fucking police on me and then what? I come right back here or I get fucking tested for drugs? No."

"I can't believe you." She left the table crying and I finished my food.

Oh well.

I grabbed my bags and left. I decided to take a long walk to Nas's apartment. I missed our bickering.

"Hey, Boop!" Someone called out and I turned around to see fucking Maddie.