The Orchard

We were still in the cellar, and I was trying to get it open only to keep failing.
'This must have been how River felt with Nik in that hostage situation. Man that was messed up.... Sammy still doesn't know.'
"I don't understand. They're gonna kill us?" Emily asked making me look towards her.
"Sacrifice us. Which is, I don't know, classier, I guess?" I told as I walked over to her. "You really didn't know anything about this, did you?"
"About what? The scarecrow god? I can't believe this."
"Well, you better start believing, cause I'm gonna need your help."
"Okay."
"Now, we can destroy the scarecrow, but we gotta find the tree." I told
"What tree?"
"Maybe you can help me with that. It would be really old. The locals would treat it with a lot of respect, you know, like it was sacred."
"There was this one apple tree. The immigrants brought it over with them. They call it the First Tree." She told
"Is it in the orchard?" I asked hoping it was the one.
"Yeah, but I don't know where." She told before the cellar door opened and four elders were standing there.
"It's time." Stacy told making me and Emily share a nervous look.

They ended up tying the two of us to adjacent trees in the orchard, which pissed me off.
"How many people have you killed, Sheriff? How much blood is on your hands?" I questioned.
"We don't kill them." He coldly told
"No, but you sure cover up after. I mean, how many cars have you hidden, clothes have you buried?" I asked before he began to walk away. "WHAT DID YOU DO TO KAT, SON OF A BITCH?!"
'What happened to her?'
"Uncle Harley, please." Emily spoke making her aunt and uncle pull a sad look.
"I am so sorry, Em. I wish it wasn't you." He told
"Try to understand. It's our responsibility. And there's just no other choice. There's nobody else but you. Not even we could find the Kat girl." Her aunt added.
'She really got away..... but where did she go?'
"I'm your family." She argued back.
"Sweetheart, that's what sacrifice means. Giving up something you love for the greater good. The town needs to be safe. The good of the many outweighs the good of the one." She told before they walked away.
"I hope your apple pie is freakin' worth it!" I exclaimed towards them as they left us connected to the tree.
"So, what's the plan?" She asked
"I'm workin' on it."
'I'm just glad Kat wasn't killed by them.'