t h i r t y - n i n e

Start from the beginning

Remus stood up once he saw the kids. But none of them were looking at him. All of their eyes were on Hailey who was still unconscious, hooked to one of those machines. Her hair looked like it hadn't been washed in months. Bandages covering up most of her arms, neck and head.

Harry sucked in a deep breath as he walked towards her. There wasn't any movements except her body slowly rising and falling. He extended his arms to move the hair out of her face as he tried to fight back the tears.

He felt is chest tighten, almost like a rock was on top of it. He hadn't seen her for almost four months. Hailey was barely recognisable. Except her strawberry blonde hair, nothing was the same. Her collar bone, jaw and cheek bones were popping out like she hadn't ate anything in months. There were small bruises, even on her face. She looked hurt yet so peaceful.

Ron for the first time in his life couldn't stop the tears from falling. He hated crying in front of anyone. But today he couldn't stop. Most of the people in this room had never seen him cry. He was that type of person. But seeing Hailey made his heartache. It was physical pain.

Molly pulled him in a tight hug. "Where- Where was she found?"

"Just at the entrance," Remus said. "The first few employees had found her. They weren't quite sure who it was... But her hair gave it. They soon called some healers. I received a patronus from Arthur about an hour later."

"Why couldn't we come earlier?" Harry asked. He was now holding Hailey hand.

"I didn't want you guys to have nightmares." He replied as Ron frowned.

"W-What do you mean?"

"Even us aurors were horrified seeing her Ron. You guys are just kids... And the messag-"

"That enough Dora." Remus interrupted her.

"What message?" Harry and Ron asked at the same time.

"Prof- Remus," Harry said looking him dead in the eyes. "What message?" The man sighed as he looked back at Molly and Nymphadora. "I want to know the message. Remus."

"It said..." The man was debating whether he should say it or not. He finally came to the conclusion that Harry was too stubborn, just like James and won't stop pestering. So he said it. "It said we warned you."

Harry felt his stomach drop as he stared back at him. He knew what they meant. It was Lucius's threat. Give it or she dies. He slowly turned his head back at Hailey. "It's all my fault-"

"That's exactly why I didn't want you to know," Remus said as Harry closed his eyes. The death eaters could've killed her, and it was all his fault. If he had given the prophecy faster, maybe she would've been alright.

"It's not you fault Harry," Ginny said keeping a hand on his shoulder.

"It is..." He moved her hand from his shoulder and abruptly left the room.

"I'll go after him," Tonks said as she went behind him. There was a small silence in the room before Remus spoke up again.

"You can come closer Ron." He smiled softly at the boy.

"I don't think it's a good idea... I mean... We- We weren't exactly on good terms-"

"Give it a rest Ronald. That was one god damn fight you had four months ago." Hermione said angrily. "She loves you. And just stepping closer to her won't harm anyone."

Ron sighed before walking closer to her as slowly as possible. Call it dramatic, but he couldn't stop thinking about that day when they fought. The look on Hailey's face was haunting him.

He slowly took her hand in his.

I'm so so sorry.

He kissed the back her hand. His eyes widened like a golf ball when he felt her ever so lightly gripping his hand. He looked up at Remus to confirm if he was hallucinating or not.

Ron couldn't help but grin when he saw the look on his face. He was not hallucinating. It was real.

"I love you." He whispered pressing a delicate kiss on top of her head. And he meant it from the bottom of his heart.

.......................