Chapter One

* This book is currently under extensive editing *

19th June 2009

So this is it, seventeen years of my life spent in care in New York, four years spent in college in NYU and I still have nothing. 

Well I have an accountancy degree and a person in my life I actually care about but she's leaving and once again I find myself alone. But I'm determined, if Georgie has shown me one thing it's to take life by the horns and do you. "Don't wait around for shit to happen, go get it girl" was her motto and I promised to live by it. 

We were sat in our dorm room after packing it all up and everywhere just looked so bare. It's been the best four years of my life and I'm struggling to keep my emotions in check. Mostly because this blonde bimbo is leaving me and I'm scared of what awaits me outside these four walls. 

"You packed? Movers will be here to collect our stuff soon" Georgie asked as she tapped away on her phone ignoring me and my raised eyebrow. 

"To collect our stuff? I've agreed with the admissions desk to store my stuff here for a few weeks until I get myself sorted with somewhere to stay. The only place I am going is to a grubby motel with a rucksack until I find a job" I half joked but my voice sounded bitter cause that was in fact my plan. 

I got paid off the state, financial aid and a full scholarship was granted because I was an orphan and I worked my ass off. My social worker pushed hard on my behalf so that I could have something that I earned and had for myself. Ill forever be grateful to her.

It was a decent amount, enough to live comfortably in college but out in New York where you had to pay bills, it didnt even scratch the surface.

My social worker was the only mother figure I had in life, I tended to move from one family to the next and I made it hell for anyone who thought about keeping me. It sounds stupid and you're probably thinking I'm an idiot, that I could have been happy, but anyone who was interested in fostering me was doing it for the money and my life with them was less than stellar so it was easier to land myself back in the orphanage, the food was hot and the people were understanding. 

Georgie just stood smiling at me, her phone now neatly tucked away in her pocket. "You didn't think I was leaving New York without you did you?" She opened her arms to me but I stood still, my feet cemented to the wooden floor. 

"To Texas? I can't!" 

"And why not? Pippa give me one good reason why you should stay here babe?" 

I studied her for a minute. Was she being serious? I couldn't possibly leave. 

"Well I actually have a date with -" 

"Oh please Pip, these last four years have been hook up after hook up. You can do that in Texas. In fact the boys are even hotter. Change of scenery, better eye candy, trust me" she walks over to me pulling my hands into hers and looking at me with her pity face. I hate that stupid face and she knows it. 

"Pippa, we are family. Don't you agree?" 

I nod my head because of course I know that. She damn well won me over in the first few seconds when we met four years ago. The room was upside down as she decorated it and a boy with a black leather jacket hung up some shelving. She introduced herself as my new best friend and neither of us looked back since. 

"I know we are family Georgie, but Dallas, Texas? You said you didn't even want to return home. It's overbearing and not the life you wanted, remember?" Those were her words last year after a drunken phone call with her ex, the man that has always held her heart. Also her words. She sets up our bodyguard with students on our nights out when she wants to let loose. He never complains so its a win win for my girl.