Sixteen years (chapter 69)

“You can’t truly heal from a loss until you allow yourself to really FEEL the loss.”
– Mandy Hale

Camila POV

Time passed once again faster then I could even process. It was a week before Riley's birthday and I just couldn't understand when the time passed.

Shawn and I celebrated Thanksgiving together with his parents, Aaliyah and Camilla who flew from LA for a week to celebrate together.

I was happier then ever, I just felt home and close to all the people I loved, but this time of the year was never really my favorite and you might think it's because I didn't really have a real family to celebrate with, but actually it's because it's the time of the year where I was left with only a sister who died too after a few years. Tomorrow was the day my parents died and even the day before I felt like I didn't want to stand up from the bed.

,,Mila, baby? We need to go to work." Shawn said softly as he realized I wasn't planning to.

,,I don't want to." I said and hid under the covers.

,,Come on, babe... Tomorrow is Saturday and you can sleep all day long." He said and put the covers away from my head.

I don't think I ever told anyone when my parents died. Obviously everyone knows that my parents died, but I never told anyone the exact date. Every year I used an excuse to be alone in that day until now.

,,Yeah..." It's all I said before I stood up and started getting ready for work. After we ate breakfast together, Mrs Harrison and Mary would come and take care of Riley.

Mary started to get pretty close to all of us and I started to really like her. She was really trying to be a good grandmother and she and I really started to get along. When she and Mrs Harrison arrived, Shawn and I left for work. We had pretty much to do because Adi was still in motherhood leave and she will stay in motherhood leave until Stacy will be 6 months old.

,,You okay?" Shawn asked on the way to the praxis.

,,Yeah...I'm just tired." I lied and I felt bad doing it, but I didn't want to tell him because first of all, I didn't want him to feel bad for me and second of all, because if he would know then he would send me home to relax, but I just wanted to keep myself busy, so I didn't have to think about it.

,,You sure you're just tired?" He asked and I saw he tried to read in my eyes if there was something more so I gave him a smile to hide the sadness that was hiding behind it.

,,Yes. I'm okay." I said and kissed his cheek.

My plan was working and the distractions were helping me to forget what day tomorrow was going to be. When we finally finished work, we went together back home and tried to convince Mrs Harrison and Mary to stay for dinner, but Mrs Harrison had to go back home and Shawn and I didn't insist anymore. Mary said she could stay, so she and I started preparing dinner together while Shawn was playing around with Riley.

,,You seem....distracted?... Is everything alright?" Mary asked me while we were making dinner.

,,Everything is fine." I said and gave her a smile.

I looked over at Shawn and saw how he was playing Peekaboo with Riley and that brought a genuine smile on my face and not just a fake one.

When dinner was ready, we all ate together and Riley ate her baby food, not the food we were eating. She was so cute but still messy while eating. I guess that won't change so easily.

When it was time for Mary to leave, we said our goodbyes and Riley even waved at her. She started learning all those basic things and that was making me so happy.