Confirmation (chapter 55)

“I didn’t give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you.”
–Unknown

Shawn POV

The heartbreak that I felt while I was holding Camila was indescribable. First of all, because I couldn't watch Camila breaking down knowing that I am useless and I can't do anything about it, second of all because they took Riley away and I can't protect her anymore and third of all, because that idiot hit Camila without hesitation. All this made me so sad, but it made me more angry. It made me so angry.

How dare he hit Camila!? How dare he touch a woman at all!? I don't know what I was going to do about the first two things, but I knew that that man is going to pay for what he did. That punch was the least he could get for what he did.

Mila and I have been sitting in the same spot since they took Riley away and that was probably an hour ago. I told Mrs Harrison that she should go home and she did.

Our phones were going crazy, but neither Mila or I wanted to talk to anyone at the moment.

Suddenly Mila stopped crying and broke the hug. I looked at her and her facial expression wasn't sad anymore. All I could see in her eyes was anger and hate.

,,I’m calling Melanie. I won’t let Riley spend even a night away from us." She said and her voice was breaking after every word. I nodded and she reached for her phone and called Melanie.

She ignored all the missed calls and all the messages and just called Melanie.

,,Camila! I know what happened, you don't have to tell me. I just found out. I'm going in a meeting with the boss and I'll make everything good again. I promise! I have proof that Mrs Geller isn't good for Riley and I have something in the hand against Mr Delope. I'm gonna call you afterwards and tell you how it went, but I've to go now." Melanie said on the phone before Camila could say anything.

,,Okay." It's all Mila managed to say before Melanie hung up. ,,Let's go." She said and stood up, but I was confused. Go where?

,,Where do you wanna go?" I asked and followed her.

,,I'm not gonna wait here and cry my eyes out hoping that Melanie is successful. We are going to the agency's office and see what we can do." She said and I knew she was right, so we just left and I drove us to that office.

The ride was silent and neither of us had the urge to say something. We both wanted the same thing and we knew that. At a red light, I looked at Camila and saw how a bruise started forming on her cheek and that made me soooo angry.

She noticed the way I looked at her and she knew why and where I was looking, but I couldn't help it. I was angry about so much stuff, but that man hurting women and being allowed to be around children made me sick.

,,It doesn't hurt anymore." She said.

,,But it did hurt. He hit and hurt you! And that man is allowed to be around children!? Hell no! I don't care how, but we are getting Riley out of there tonight." I said and she nodded.

As the light turned green, I tried to drive faster, but we are in fucking New York. Driving fast here it's impossible.

We arrived at the agency's office after a while and I parked the car, locked it and then we ran in there as fast as we could.

We walked directly to the reception, but as we were looking around all the kids were staring at us.

,,May I help you?" The receptionist asked.

,,I wanna see my baby. Her name is Riley Cabello." Camila said and I saw the way she started biting her lip and the way she was moving her index finger on the back of her other hand.