Sleepless (chapter 63)

Começar do início

,,I guess we do." I said and looked up at him.

I was just wondering how I got so lucky to have him in my life. If I wouldn't have had him, then I don't know how I would've gone through all the shit that happened in the past months.

,,I'm so tired...." I said and then put a hand over my mouth as I yawned.

,,Then let's get ready for bed." He said and that's what we did.

It took me longer than Shawn to get ready for bed, but when I was ready, I immediately got to bed and fell asleep in his arms.

But of course the night was once again....incredible!

Riley kept waking up and crying every time. Shawn and I didn't want to bring her in our room and sleep with us because we didn't want it to be something she can get used to. She slept alone before so she could do it again, but she doesn't want to anymore or she is scared to. Both of the options aren't good and we need to fix it because I hate seeing her cry every night.

The next morning I was on the phone with Emma, Riley's doctor and she gave me some tips I could use when Riley would wake up during the night. Shawn and I also talked to Karen and she said that she wants to come over and help us. We told her she doesn't have to, but she insisted.

Manuel brought her later that day and Karen said she'll stay for a few days. We were thankful, but at the same time I felt bad that she had to come...

,,When you were a baby, you had a similar problem." Karen said to Shawn at some point during the day.

,,And what did you do?" Shawn asked her.

,,One night, I let you cry and we didn't come to you. You stopped crying after a while and fell asleep. After that night you stopped crying so often." Karen said, but I don't think that I could do that. I can't hear Riley cry and do nothing about it.

,,I can't do that..." I said honest.

,,I know. That's why I came." Karen said.

,,But she is scared to be alone since those stupid people took her away. If we let her alone, won't we make it even worse?"

,,Let's do it this way. Tonight, if she cries, I will go and check on her. If she won't stop then we'll have to try to let her sleep with you for a while until she forgets about what happened. I mean she will forget. She is a baby and babies don't remember stuff they do. It's normal." Karen said.

,,We can try that." Shawn said and I nodded.

That night we tried Karen's plan. As Riley started crying in the middle of the night, we let Karen go and check on her.

,,Do you think Karen hears her? Maybe she didn't wake up from the cries. She has been already crying for so long..." I said and tried my best to not stand up from the bed and check on Riley by myself.

,,She for sure heard her. It's hard not to. Relax a little." Shawn said and pulled me closer to him.

,,She still doesn't stop." I said after a while.

,,Wait one more minute and we go." Shawn said and I let out a shaky breath.

That minute felt like an eternity, but as it passed we immediately stood up from the bed and walked to Riley's room.

,,Mom?" Shawn said as we entered Riley's room.

,,Now she stopped...." Karen said as we entered the room and Riley stopped crying as she saw us.

,,Okay. I wanna know if she feels comfortable around both of you or just one of you. We put her to bed now here and when she wakes up only you, Shawn, come and check on her. Then we put her to bed again and if she wakes up again only you, Mila, come. Got it? We need to find out where is the problem and she will be okay." Karen said and gave as a comforting look.

,,Okay..." Shawn and I said at the same time.

We put Riley to bed and waited for her to fall asleep. While we were waiting, I started feeling sleepy too. The next day was Monday and I already knew it was going to be a hard day and a hard week because we rescheduled some patients and we also had a few easy weeks as Shawn's parents and Aaliyah were here.

As Riley fell asleep, we immediately went to our room and I immediately fell asleep in Shawn's arms.

Once again, we woke up by the sound of the crying Riley and we did what Karen said. Shawn went to check on Riley while I stayed in bed.

Riley stopped after a few seconds Shawn went to check on her. This means she calmed down as she saw Shawn. I waited for Shawn to come back, but I guess I fell asleep while I was waiting because as I woke up again it was because Riley started crying AGAIN.

I looked at the clock and it said it was 5am. We had to wake up in two hours for work.

Shawn woke up because of Riley too, but I was the only one who went to check on her just like Karen said. As Riley saw me, she calmed down.

,,Why are you crying, Riley? You know you are safe here..." I said as I picked her up in my arms to make her fall asleep again.

It was breaking my heart to hear her cry every single night multiple times. She fell asleep again pretty quickly and I put her to bed.

I went back to bed and saw that Shawn already fell asleep. I snuggled into him like a koala and he held me tight.

Taking care of baby was starting to get harder every day, but I was just lucky and happy to have him by my side.

--------
Okay... So..... I have a few questions because I'm a little confused.....

I told you a while ago that this book is going to be pretty long and you probably already noticed that. Anyways, my question is if you guys want that. Like I have a lot of ideas and I don't wanna end this book, but do you want this book to come to an end??? I kinda hope you don't because I really don't wanna end this book...

I also had a second question, but I forgot it. 'Smart'. I know. 🙂🔫

(By the way I'll probably post two chapters tomorrow. Not sure tho, but let's just hope I'll find the time.)