#97 Anze Kopitar Imagine

Author’s note:

Maybe trigger warning for domestic violence? Nothing graphic, but implied history between father/daughter.

This was the request:

"Y/N is always getting yelled at by her Dad for no reason & always making her feel like shit & she’s dating Anze Kopitar and her Dad doesn’t think him playing in the NHL is a true profession. So the Dad makes her break up with Kopi and while shes doing this she’s crying hard & Kopi is confused and then he realizes the Dad wants this to happen so he confronts the dad about how he treats her & makes her life decisions. And then Kopi lets her move in with him."

(Set during Kopitar’s first year in the NHL)

“(Y/N)!! Get in here!” Your dad yelled, and you felt your stomach knot. You took a deep, trembling, breath and tried to calm down before slowly walking down to the kitchen where he was yelling from. “How do you explain this?” He held up a report card that is mostly A’s and B’s, with one C.

“I missed an exam because I was-” He interrupted you before you could finish explaining that you’d been sick and missed school.

“Because you were visiting that stupid hockey player ‘boyfriend’ of yours? I don’t want you seeing him anymore. He’s no good, and he’ll never get anywhere in life if he keeps trying to be a professional hockey player,” he looked sternly down at your and ignored your protests.

“Anze’s not like that, he’s really good! He’ll be playing right here in LA this season and you’ll see how good he is. He’ll be a star someday,” you explained proudly, almost forgetting that your dad was seething mad at you.

“That’s not good enough. You need to go to college and get an education, far away from wherever this Antsy is playing,” your dad retorts, purposefully mispronouncing Anze’s name.

“Dad, it’s Anze…” you tried correcting him, but he kept talking.

“If it’s not too late, and if your grades aren’t too bad, you need to get into college. Preferably something on the east coast.” He sighed, as if he thought there was no way you would get into any college at this point, even though you had a pretty good GPA.

“I’m going to school here in LA, you know that!” You explained, fighting back a frightened sob. You knew what was coming, it happened every time he picked a fight with you, and you braced yourself.

“You need to break up with him. Now,” he added. Tears streamed down your face as you stared back up at him in horror.

“No, no you can’t do this to me,” you stammered before breaking down in tears.

“Don’t cry, just do it. Break it off with him tonight, and I’ll forget about that C on your report card,” he smiled without any kindness, and stared at you coldly until you nod and agree to break up with him tonight.

As you drove to Kopi’s house, tears streamed down your face as you tried to think of how you were going to break up with him. You were practically shaking by the time you knocked on his door.

“Hey (Y/N)!” He said as he opened the door. His smile quickly faded when he saw your tearstained face and red eyes. “What’s wrong?” He tried to pull you into a hug, but you lean away from him.

“I need to talk,” you pushed past him into his house and tried to calm down. You sat on the couch, but remembered all the happy memories of cuddling with him, watching cheesy romantic movies and sharing popcorn. You stood up again and paced around his living room.

“Babe what’s wrong?” he tried to put his arm around you and calm you down, but you pulled away from him again, tears streaming down your face.

“I’m sorry Kop, but we have to end this,” slow tears developed into chocking racks of sobbing, and you fell back onto his couch and buried your head in your arms.

“(Y/N), no, it doesn’t have to be like this. Did I do something wrong?” He sat down next to you and put his arm around your shoulders, this time you didn’t pull away. “We can talk about this, we can work through it.”

“No, it has to be like this,” you managed to say between sobs. “I can’t any more…it’s…” You tried to explain it, but you know your dad will be mad.

“What is it? We can fix it, we can work it out; whatever it is, I want to fix it,” he said softly, and you start to calm down.

“It’s just….it’s my-” You stopped. “I can’t, he’ll….”

“Who? Is it…your dad?” He asked, his eyes suddenly flashed with anger. “It’s your dad isn’t it? Why can’t he just leave you alone?” He stands up and grabs his jacket and keys. “I’m going to talk to him.”

“No, please don’t, he’ll hurt-” You grabbed his arm and tried to stop him.

“What, he’ll hurt me?” He laughed, and smiled that smile you fell in love with. “I’m a hockey player, I think I can handle your dad.”

“No, he’ll hurt me,” you added quietly. His hands twisted into tight fists at his side.

“He won’t get near you. You’re staying here, (Y/N).” He turned and left, leaving you alone on his couch. You heard his truck pull away quickly, and you curled up into a ball, slowly crying yourself to sleep like you had so many nights before.

Your dad was not expecting your boyfriend to show up at his house, much less park his truck on the lawn and come barging into the house carrying a baseball bat.

What happened next, you could only imagine, because Anze would only tell you that “It’s okay, you don’t need to worry about him anymore. You’re safe with me now.” You had woken up to him gently cradling your head, and whispering that it would be okay now.

“Are you okay?” You sat up and looked him over for any injuries, but there was nothing.

“I’m fine, don’t worry about me. I talked to your dad, actually I yelled at him a lot, but I told him off for treating you like dirt, and not letting you make your own decisions,” he was smiling, but all you could think of was how much trouble you’d be in when you got home.

“No, you didn’t…please tell me you didn’t actually say that to him. I’ll never see the end of this,” you felt your heart speed up and all the memories of having everything happy taken from you by him came flooding back into your memory. “Not this too,” you added quietly.

“It’s okay, (Y/N), you’re safe now, you’re safe with me. You can stay here now, for as long as you want.” He gently stroked your hair, and slowly you calmed down.

“You mean, I can live with you?” You sat up and looked him in the eye.

“For as long as you want,” he smiled, and you fell in to his arms crying again, this time of happiness.

“What if I never want to leave?” You smiled for the first time all day, and happiness replaced all the years of fear, anger, and sadness you’d felt because of your father.

“Then you can stay forever,” he leaned down and kissed you on the forehead.

“I like the sound of that, Kopi.”

 -Lila