#68 Tomas Hertl Imagine

Despite being only twenty years old, San Jose Sharks’ rookie Tomas Hertl had huge dreams for the NHL, and it’s not what you think.  Most players his age are just trying to make it in the NHL, yet Hertl was on his way to something bigger. He had scored four goals in one game (one game!!) and realized he could do so much more in the hockey world. Hertl’s next goal was much bigger than this, and it would certainly change things for him.

For his task, Hertl needed some help. He recruited fellow countryman Jaromir Jagr, since Jagr has played on seven NHL teams, and even played in the KHL. His experience would help Hertl, and the young Czech promised him a high position in his new regime. Hertl realized he would need some help, a few allies on different teams, so he set out finding the best person on each team to help him.

Once he took over the hockey world, he planned on making everyone his slave-like subordinates, while he ruled everyone. He would sit on a throne with the Stanley Cup on display next to him, with all the names removed, and replaced with his own name. He would collect as many Cup rings as he could, and wear as many at a time as he could fit on his hands. He would make rival teams play each other all season, or break up teams and make new ‘super teams’ with all the best players in the world. He would make teams wear pink, and purple, and tie-dye jerseys. He would force the players to call him ‘King Tomas,’ and change the official language of the NHL to Czech. He would make his enemies and least favorite players do stupid and embarrassing things, like playing hockey in a tutu and pink skates. Yes, he would make them all his minions, and they would do whatever he wanted them to!

Except, after Sharks’ practice one day, while Tomas was still in the midst of planning his takeover, his teammates approached him. They looked concerned and worried, almost as if they felt bad for him.

“Tomas?” Thornton asked carefully, and Tomas looked up at him with a scowl. “Yes.” He replied. “I’ve heard some very disturbing news about you. Can we talk about it?” Thornton said, moving closer to him. “What are you talking about?” he asked in a casual tone. “We heard you were trying to take over the NHL? And the entire world of hockey?” Thornton asked, again carefully wording his sentences.

“Yes, I am,” Tomas smiled proudly back at his soon-to-be minion. Thornton and the small group of Sharks standing near Hertl stared at him with mouths open in shock. After exchanging a few glances with his teammates, Thornton stepped a little closer to Hertl and placed his hand on his shoulder. “Tomas, you can’t do that. That would be wrong to make all of those excellent hockey players your slaves. You can’t take over the hockey world, it’s wrong,” Thornton tried to explain, and Hertl looked back at him with innocent puppy-dog eyes. “But, I want to,” he mumbled quietly. Thornton shook his head, “I’m sorry Tomas, but you can’t do that.”

Hertl hung his head and sighed, his smile vanished and transformed into a heartbreaking frown.

“But we got you something to cheer you up,” Demers said from the back of the group as he moved closer carrying something. “Since you can’t make us all your minions, we decided to make you a minion cake!” Demers held out a cake shaped and decorated like a minion fromDespicable Me, Tomas’s favorite movie. Hertl’s face lit up when he saw the cake.

“And we got you a stuffed minion plushie thing,” Nieto said as he handed the minion to Hertl. Hertl smiled as he looked at the cake and the minion. “Thanks guys!” Hertl looked at his teammates and smiled, though he was still sad about not being able to take over the NHL. Maybe someday he will get his chance….

-Lila

(I think this is almost weirder than the last Hertl request) : )