#77 Sidney Crosby Imagine

“Where are you now?” You brother Sid asked you on the phone.

About two hours before you had gotten in a big fight with you and Sidney’s parents. As a 17 year old girl you wanted freedom, but for some reason your mother did not agree. Your whole life you watched Sidney have the freedom to do what ever he wanted, but you weren't even allowed to get your license, let alone go to a party.

“I’m walking.” You said back to Sidney through sobs.

When you had finally stormed out of the house you thought you could find somewhere to go, but quickly realized that at 8:30 at night nobody was a good option.

“Please, (Y/N). It’s getting dark there. Just go home. Lock yourself in your room or something.”

You could hear the concern in Sidney’s voice, but you had already made up your mind.

“I can’t. You don’t understand how it feels! I’ll never live up to the expectations. I’m just…” You broke off with another sob.

More than anything you wanted your brother to be there with you. Even when he couldn’t understand he would try. He was the only one in your life who would care for you, whether you were emotionally or physically hurt.

“What are you saying, (Y/N)?” He asked gently.

You looked around for any other people and sat down on the curb.

“I don’t know, Sid. I just am miserable.”

You heard Sid sigh and set something down.

“When do you turn 18?” He asked.

You were confused.

“What do you-”

“June 3rd right?”

“Yeah.”

“And that’s in… What a month?” he asked.

You thought about what day it was and answered, “Yeah…”

“Come live with me.”

Now you felt even more confused.

“What? But… You live all the way in Pittsburgh… I don’t understand.”

“I can take care of that, (Y/Nick/N). Just worry about you, Okay? Go home. Keep eating. Don’t do anything stupid. Just wait until your birthday, and after you graduate. You can go to college in Pittsburgh. I know how mom and dad are, sis. Do you think I could have tried to be anything less that what I am? They never would allow it. I never got to do any fun stuff. Go on any dates, go to parties… It was all about hockey. Hockey became my everything.”

You sighed and looked down at the ground. You knew all of this and it was usually the thing that kept you from crying to him. At least your parents ALLOWED you to fail. Sidney never got that option.

“I love you, Sid.” You said after he finished ranting.

“I love you too, (Y/N). Now go home. Call me tomorrow.”

You had done as you were told, and for the next month you faked like you were happy around your parents. You continued working hard in school and you graduated with the rest of you class. And as promised, your brother showed up on the day of your birthday.

“SIDNEY!” You heard your mom yell from downstairs.

You jumped of of your bed, throwing your book to the side. You rushed towards the stairs but slowed before ascending. Standing at the front door was your brother, clad in basket ball shorts, a hockey tee, and (you guessed it) yellow crocs. In his hands he held a big, purple wrapped box that had a bright pink bow sitting on top. You smiled and stepped towards him. He handed the gift to your mom and opened his arms out for a hug. You ran forward and hugged him tight.

“I missed you.” You said.

Sidney smiled, “I missed you too.”

You looked over Sidney’s shoulder and saw your mom with tears in her eyes.

“I love seeing you kids close.”

You resisted rolling your eyes. Sidney pulled back and looked at you.

“How long has it been? 10 years? Jeez you look grown.” He joked.

You laughed and shook your head, “Something like 9 months.”

He sighed, “Well that will be changing soon. Here, let’s go open your gift.”

Your mom handed you the present. You guided the two into the living room. You sat on the floor and waited for them to be seated.

“Card first?” You asked.

Sidney nodded. You opened the envelope carefully and pulled out a cute card. Inside you found a plane ticket to Pittsburgh. You looked up at Sidney and smiled. He had come through.

“What is that?” Your mom asked.

You felt worried. What if she didn’t let you go?

“It’s a plane ticket to Pittsburgh. I want her to come stay with me.” Sid answered calmly.

Your mom looked between you and him.

“No.” She said firmly.

You sighed and set down the ticket glumly. Sidney sat up straighter.

“(Y/N) is 18. She needs to branch out and make her own experiences. I can make sure she continues in her studies and wont get into any trouble. She has more opportunities there.”

Your mom’s eye twitched.

“What makes you think she wants to leave Canada?” She asked.

Sidney looked up at you, encouraging you to speak.

“I want to move in with Sid, mom.” You said quietly while looking down at the other gift.

Your mom said nothing for a moment then spoke up.

“We’ll talk about it later, Sidney.”

You sighed. Sidney nodded and focused his attention back to you.

“Open the other one.” He smiled.

You looked down at the shiny purple paper and figured out if you wanted to rip it or untape. You decided to untape because that always annoyed your mom more. Slowly you peeled back the paper reveling a brand new laptop. Your jaw dropped. You looked back up at your brother in amazement.

“Oh my gosh! Thank you!”

You set it aside and got up to hug him.

“You’re welcome. I knew yours was old and I wanted you to be able to write. You know, with all the new surroundings in Pittsburgh.” He smiled.

The rest of the night was spent eating cake and talking to Sidney about what he had been up to. Once you got tired you told everyone good night and went up to your room.

The next morning you were awaken by Sidney knocking on the door.

“Come in!” You groaned.

Sidney came in fully dressed for the day with a big smile on his face.

“Today’s the day, kiddo. Pack your bags.”

Part 2? I don’t know. I feel like it could be longer.

-Ashley