His sister (chapter 45)

Start from the beginning

,,See ya!" I said and we hung up.

I don't know why I was so happy that she called me sis. I mean she always did that, but this time it feels different for me cause now I'm not just her brother's best friend, but her brother's girlfriend.... You know what I mean?

I got out of the car and also took Riley with me. I held her protective in my arms and walked with her in the airport after I locked the car.

I didn't put the baby carrier on because I just forgot it in the car so I just held Riley hoping she won't wake up.

I entered the airport and walked to Aaliyah's terminal while I held Riley as close as possible and also tried to put my hand over her ear so that she doesn't get scared by all the sounds.

As I got at the terminal, I sat down on a chair next to an older lady and waited for Aaliyah.

I kept looking between the gate and Riley. I wanted to see when Aaliyah had arrived and also if Riley was waking up.

,,God bless her. She's a beautiful baby." The older lady said and smiled at me.

,,Thank you so much." I said and gave her a soft smile.

,,Are you waiting for the daddy to come home?" The woman asked.

,,No. I'm actually waiting for his sister. We wanna make him a surprise." I said thinking about Shawn.

Shawn and I discussed a while ago everything about us raising Riley and he told me that he wants to be a part of it. He said he wants to be her dad figure if I'm okay with that and of course I'm okay with that! I'm even more than okay! We both came to the conclusion that Riley needs a father in her life and she deserves a father in her life and Shawn is the only person on this planet who I could imagine to have by my side for the rest of my life and raise a kid with.

,,That's so sweet...You know what? Look at all this people who are coming back home. Look at the reunions. Isn't that beautiful? It reminds me of every time my husband came back home to me." The lady said and looked at the gates that opened every single minute to reveal another person.

,,Are you and your husband still together?" I asked.

,,He died two years ago, but he's always gonna be by my side." She said with a smile on her face.

,,Did it hurt? As he died..."

,,My heart broke and never healed again. I only live for my daughter. She needs her mom and I'm not gonna leave her until I know she is in good hands."

,,Your daughter is lucky to have at least one parent who is still alive..." I said and gave her a sad smile.

I never open up to strangers, but there is a thing about older persons that impresses me. I love hearing their stories because they have so much to say and they need someone to listen to their stories.

,,I'm sorry..." The woman said and placed her hand on my shoulder like she knew exactly what I've gone through. ,,People probably tell you that it will get better with the time, but that's not true. You can't heal death. You learn to live with it."

,,What if there is already too much death I've to deal with?" I asked and the woman looked at me understanding.

,,You learn to live with it. For her." She said and pointed at Riley. ,,For her daddy." She said with a smile. ,,There are people who need you." She continued.

,,Thank you.... I didn't know I needed it...." I said.

,,Anytime." She said with a smile.

,,Mila!" I heard Aaliyah's voice and as I turned around to look at the gate, I saw her starting to run in my direction.