chapter 26

☟︎☟︎☟︎

☝︎︎☝︎︎☝︎︎

☝︎︎☝︎︎☝︎︎

McGonagall circled the necklace placed on top of the desk, seeming to observe it. Her eyes traced over the designs before she turned around. "You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks," she asked Leanne, the girl giving a nod.

"It's like I said," she spoke, "She left to go to the loo, and when she came back she had the package. She said it was important that she deliver it," she trailed on, McGonagall looking at her intently. "Did she say who?" The girl nodded again, "To Professor Dumbledore."

McGonagall took in a sharp breath before giving one solid nod. "Very well. Thank you, Leanne. You may go."

Leanne only pursed her lips as she turned around, brushing past the group of six. They were all lined up facing McGonagall as the woman turned to them, exhaustion displayed on her face. "Why is it when something happens it's always you and your group," she questioned with a sigh, looking to the two cousins.

None of them said anything as Brett quickly held up his hand, pointing towards Harry and Y/N. The girl threw him a look asking if he was serious as she slapped his hand away and back towards his side, Sofia giving him a scolding glare. Ron let out a small breath after a few seconds, "Believe me, professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years."

McGonagall said nothing as she looked behind them, Snape approaching. "Oh, Severus," she called out, the man making his way over. He said nothing as he passed by the group of witches and wizards, approaching the necklace on the desk. He took out his wand from his robe pocket and pointed it towards the piece of jewelry, lifting it up and into the air.

"What do you think," McGonagall asked, Snape giving a hum. "I think Miss Bell is lucky to be alive," he said blankly. The group behind them watched intently. "She was curse, wasn't she," Harry asked, them all looking at each other before they looked to the two teachers. "I know Katie," he continued, "Off the Quidditch pitch, she wouldn't hurt a fly."

Y/N started to piece together what he was trying to say. "If she was delivering that package to Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it willingly, or knowingly for that matter," she muttered out softly, the group looking between her and her cousin. Snape and McGonagall observed the piece of jewelry for a few more seconds before the woman spoke, "Yes, she was cursed."

Y/N and Harry shared a look, the both of them looking back to the teachers. "It was Malfoy," Harry said assertively, fidgeting in his spot. The group of friends, besides Y/N, gave him quizzical, scolding looks, not believing him to say that. McGonagall and Snape turned towards them. "That is a very serious accusation, Potter," the woman announced, Snape agreeing, "Indeed. Your evidence?"