chapter 17

☟︎☟︎☟︎

☝︎︎☝︎︎☝︎︎

☝︎︎☝︎︎☝︎︎

    It had been a few days since Y/N and Harry had heard about their uncle. It was now September twenty-ninth, the day before Quidditch trials. Neither cousin was really looking forward to it, their minds stuck on their late uncle. They hadn't gotten much sleep, and their friends had to check up on them every once and a while, but they managed.

    Y/N hadn't cried since Hermione found her on the field. She didn't particularly like to show any emotion. She thought it made her too weak, too vulnerable. She only ever showed that side to her friends and Hermione. Harry just stayed emotionless over the past few days. He wouldn't let anyone see how much it really hurt him.

    Now, Hermione and Y/N were laying down in the Ravenclaw Prefect dorm, the soft sound of rain hitting the roof and windows along with the fireplace being heard. The two had spent all night in there, immediately heading to it after dinner. They both enjoyed talking and spending time together in privacy, especially when it meant their friends wouldn't interrupt or just barge in.

    Y/N sat against the headboard with Hermione in her lap, the girl's back pressed against her front as she read. Neither had really said anything, just relishing in the feeling of each other's company and touch. Y/N's hands were mindlessly drawing small, random shapes onto Hermione's legs, her fingers grazing over the skin. She could feel the small trail of goosebumps she'd elicit from the girl every time she did, and a small smile would always stretch to her lips as she watched her body's reaction to her touch.

    She, however, continued to zone in and out, her mind racing. Between Sirius, school, Slughorn, and Quidditch, her mind was always on a loop. She had hoped that maybe for once she'd have a normal school year, but deep down she knew that most likely would never happen.

    Hermione's eyes scanned over the pieces of paper of the book as she read, her head pressing against Y/N's shoulder with her eyebrows slightly furrowed. She was concentrated. However, her focus was soon brought away from her book as she noticed that Y/N's fingers were no longer tracing random patterns onto her thighs, the girl growing a bit confused.

    She gently closed the book and placed it down on her lap as she turned her head to the side, a small frown forming on her lips. Y/N's eyes seemed to be zoned out on a random spot in the room, her face blank with no emotion. Hermione couldn't help but feel her heart start to constrict. Y/N had been in her own little world for her past few days, constantly or mostly zoning out whenever she was left alone to her thoughts.

    Hermione observed her for a moment, waiting to see if she would snap from her trance, but she didn't. She gave a small sigh as she slowly leaned up, pressing a soft kiss to her cheek and lingering her lips there for a few seconds. That seemed to bring Y/N back to reality as her eyes strayed away from the spot she was looking at, her head slightly shaking as she loosened from her daze, and her head turning to look at Hermione.

     She only became more confused when she was met with concerned, brown eyes, a small pout on her girlfriend's lips. Her eyebrows were creased together, her lips pursed as she stared back. "What," she asked, her voice coming out immensely curious. Hermione's eyes scanned over her face as she let out a soft exhale. "Nothing," she replied, "What're you thinking about?"

    Y/N didn't say anything for a moment as she looked over Hermione quizzically. She shrugged after a few seconds, "I don't know." Hermione gave her a pointed look as she straightened herself out, her back flushing against Y/N's front as she made herself comfortable. "You're a terrible liar. Are you forgetting I can read you like a book?"

    Y/N let out a mix between a huff and a sigh as she averted her eyes down to her hands, starting to once more trace patterns onto Hermione's legs. "I'm fine, Hermione. Really, I am." The bushy-haired girl didn't buy it, she actually scoffed in response. "You know you can tell me, right? If something is wrong, I want to help."

    She gave the Ravenclaw a pleading look, the two saying nothing for a few moments. Y/N stared emotionless at her for a few seconds before she let out a small sigh, resting her head down onto Hermione's shoulder. She gave a shy, small shrug as she mumbled, "Just everything going on, I guess. It's kind of messing with me, I suppose."

     "Messing with you? What do you mean," Hermione queried. "Like, Sirius, school. I just realized I have to keep my grades up, you know if I want to be an Auror after we finish here. I'm just kind of tired."

     Hermione's eyes softened as she rose a hand to Y/N's face, picking it up and off of her shoulder as she cupped it. "You're stressed, that's the problem. You know we still have two years to figure everything out, you don't have to worry about the future yet. Besides, your grades are brilliant. You're top ten in each of your classes."

     "I know," Y/N muttered, "But still I just want to make sure I'm keeping up. Quidditch isn't helping, either. It's only adding more, if anything. I've got to be responsible for a whole team, not to mention make sure I've got a strong one as well. I've been practicing with the boys mostly everyday."

     "Once again, you're tiring yourself out," Hermione stated, her thumb softly stroking over the side of her face. "You need to give yourself some space and time to breathe, love. If you don't, you'll practically be drowning under your own work. Believe me, I would know. I wouldn't stop overworking myself for the first two years at Hogwarts. I fell asleep in the library a few times, remember?"

     Y/N nodded a bit as a small smile rose to her lips. "How could I forget? You practically fell asleep on top of me every night we were there. I can't believe we'd actually have competitions to see who could stay up the latest and read books faster," she said with a small snicker, Hermione letting out a soft giggle.

    Brown eyes peered into Y/N's as the two girls sat on the bed, the sound of the rain and fireplace still being heard. Small smiles plastered themselves onto their faces as Y/N let out a soft sigh, her eyes scanning over Hermione's face.

     "What would I do without you," she murmured out, her voice being a bit muffled. Hermione let out a small laugh as she innocently shrugged. "I don't know, but I do know that you'd be missing out on having the best girlfriend ever."

     Hermione gave her a cheeky, childlike grin as Y/N playfully rolled her eyes, a soft scoff leaving her lips. "You're unbelievable," she tsked out, the Gryffindor letting out a small hum. "Yet, you still love me."

      Y/N's lips turned up into a shy smile as she gave a solid nod. "Always will."

_______________________________

short chapter, it's all fluff though basically

anyway tomorrow's chapter is gonna be long so like i didn't wanna write too much