Not ready to say goodbye (chapter 5)

Start from the beginning

I went to the interphone and answered it.

,,Who is it?"

,,Shawn."

,,I'm not really in the mood for guests.."

,,That's why I'm here."

,,What's wrong with your logic?"

,,Mila... I know today was the funeral."

,,From where do you know that?" Dumb question, but anyways. I didn't want to cry or feel vulnerable, that's why I was keeping myself busy.

,,Well, today was Addison's first day and she told me she's gonna come later because of the funeral and that's what she did, but as she came back she also told me that you ran away..."

,,Great story. Why are you here?" I know I was behaving like I child, but I just wanted to get over with this day.

,,I'm here for you. Mila, I know you are sad-"

,,I'm not sad. I'm fine." I interrupted him and was pretty pissed off.

,,Mila, please let me in." He said with concern in his voice.

,,Shawn... I know you mean this for good, but I just don't wanna cry or feel vulnerable or anything. I don't wanna think about....her..right now.."

,,Fine. Then we won't talk about her, but I don't want you to be alone. I came her as fast as I could. I ended work and got here."

I didn't knoe what time it was, but it was already dark.

Shit! I should have put Riley to bed.

I didn't say anything anymore and just opened the door from the building for him. I opened the apartment door and sat on the couch and waited for him to get upstairs.

I heard the door close and I knew he arrived. Shawn sat on the couch next to me after he took his shoes off and, at first, he didn't say anything.

After a few seconds of silence, he put his arm around my waist and pulled me on his side and gave me a hug. The action surprised me, but I didn't pull away. Even the opposite. I buried my face in his shirt and put my arms around his torso. He stroke my back gently with one hand and played with my hair with the other hand.

I was feeling so relaxed and, suddenly, I forgot everything. The moment got interrupted by a crying Riley. I immediately got up from the couch and ran to her room. As I entered the room I saw her in her bed with her toys. Nothing seemed wrong to me. I feeded her half an hour ago, so she shouldn't have been be hungry. I smelled on her butt and that's when I knew it. She pooped.

I picked her up and put her on the diaper changing table. I changed her diaper and then also changed her in her pajamas.

I picked up Riley and turned around to see Shawn, who was standing at the doorframe looking at me. I only gave him a sad smile as I put Riley back in her bed. I put her blanket over her, put on some relaxing music for babies and turned the lights off.

Shawn made space for me to exit the bedroom and that's what I did. I closed the door and went to the couch and jumped on it. Shawn chuckled a little at my action and then came and sat down next to me.

I looked up at him and he smiled.

,,This is exhausting." I said and sat up on the couch.

,,I know."

,,I would have never imagined myself at twenty four with a baby that it's not even mine." I said and took a pillow and hugged it.

,,She is yours." He said and I looked him in the eyes. ,,She is your niece. She is your family. And like you said she's your only family."