Chapter 3

Lucinda watched curiously as I started to cook. "Zay, I leave the drinks to you, good sir."

He smirked. "Pick your poison."

I thought for a moment, knife never slowing as I cut up potatoes. "Feels like a hurricane kinda night."

He nodded. "Got it."

Lucinda looked between us. "Don't your Omegas d-"

"No such thing here."

She blinked. "What?"

Xavier smiled. "We don't believe any wolf is better than the other."

She blushed and looked away from him. "So you have no weak wolves."

I pursed my lips. "They are not weak, they are casters..."

She furrowed her brow. "I'm an Omega or was one... we ca-"

I set down my knife, more for her safety than that of my fingers. "Then you, my dear, have power. It has nothing to do with being weak or controlling your wolf."

"Bu-"

I gently touch her arm. "If you choose to spend any time here, you'll see, but first... Ladybug."

Zoey came in smiling. "Here!" I nodded at Lucinda and she looked her over. "Black and red... the other two are green and yellow."

I nodded. "That is interesting indeed, how are those two doing?"

She pouted a bit. "They are playing with my toys, on my seashells."

I raised my eyebrows at her. "You need to learn to share."

She threw up her hands dramatically as she walked out. "I am, do you see me stopping them?"

I shook my head smiling. "What do those colors mean?"

I sighed. "That... you are not ready for."

She watched me carefully as I went back to my task. "You're not gonna ask?"

I shrugged. "When you are ready, you'll tell me that... and your real names."

Her eyes widened. "That is my name."

Xavier was watching us closely, still too shy to really join. I met her gaze. "I spent most of my life with people not knowing mine, my mate didn't find it out until after he went snooping through my score sheets, it took him months. Trust me when I tell you, I know it's not."

She averted her gaze. "Could just order me to tell you."

I smirked. "Now... where's the fun in that. I don't like giving orders, I like people to open up to me freely. When you are ready... you will. As long as those kids don't want to talk, they don't have to. Again it hits close to home."

She relaxed. "So the rumors about you aren't true."

I chuckled. "Depends on the rumor."

She tilted her head. "You're a murderous, self-centered, heartless dictator."

I smiled. "All true."

She narrowed her eyes. "You've single handedly killed thousands."

I nodded. "True."

Now, she was lost. "You have openly opposed the king."

"Also, true. He has the heads to prove it."

"But how?"

Xavier sighed. "People only see what they want to see. She hasn't killed anyone that didn't attack us first and had already been warned. She's strict, but no dictator. Far from heartless... most of the time."