Chapter 28

The restlessness in the air woke me and I saw Ezekiel stirring as well.  We chose to sleep by the lake since neither of us wanted to be near my grandmother.  "Let's check it out."

He nodded and we went into the town.  I heard the growls and snarls and quickened my pace, pushing through the crowd.  Maverick was in the center of it all, on the edge of shifting with a girl by his side.  "Think that's mate?"

I pursed my lips.  "He works fast..."

"She is not welcome here.  Send her back to where she came."

The girl cringed under on the elders glare.  "She is my mate and if she goes I go."

That caused an uproar, but I stood back to watch.  He would need to choose his mate and she him.  "Does her pack know?  Or have you stolen her from them?"

The girl frowned.  "I abandoned them... I want to stay with Rick."

I raised my eyebrows.  "She has spunk... I like it."

Ezekiel chuckled.  "What have you done?  They will come for her and you led them right to us!"

As the crowd started to close in I stepped into my shadow and out of that of Maverick's.  He gasped as everyone froze.  "What the hell?"

I smiled.  "This is your choice..."

He shook himself from his shock.  "I stick with her.  It'll be hard, but we'll figure it out."

I smiled softly.  "Good answer."

The girl looked me over.  "You're her?  The girl Alpha?  He said you would take us in if they didn't accept us."

I nodded.  "That I did."

"The-"

"I am true to my word if nothing else.  None will touch you or him."

She beamed.  "Thank you!  I don't know how to repay you."

Ezekiel came to my side.  "Protect and stand by your mate.  That is your only task."

"You ungrateful child!  They will attack us!"

I turned my gaze to my grandmother.  "They will come nowhere near you."

She growled.  "You know nothing!  They will kill us all!"

I dropped my head and shook it as I produce 4 blades.  "No... they won't.  Ray, you know what to do."

She smiled as she took them from me and disappeared.  "Oooo fun... I like fun."

I put a hand on Ezekiel's sleeve and he smirked.  "I'll stay in here with them."

Xavier came and pat my shoulder.  "Same."

I raised my eyebrows.  "No fun for you?"

He shrugged.  "I know when I'm needed."

I sighed and looked at Maverick.  "She's your mate, this is her former pack.  It is your decision."

His eyes were flooded with determination.  "I'll fight with you."

The girl clenched her fist.  "Me too."

I tilted my head back and forth.  "If it comes to that."

I turned on my heel to walk out of town.  "You'll get us all killed!"

I ignored her and went to where I felt others approaching, Maverick and his mate at my side.  "So... they are really strong."

I shrugged.  "So."