Chapter 47

As we approached the car Samantha growled.  I looked at her curiously then where her eyes were pinned.  "Oh... yeah, don't do that."

She looked at me in surprise.  "Bu-"

I shook my head.  "My pack is different, they will not bring you harm, quite the opposite in fact."

She began to fidget.  "Okay..."

I felt someone coming behind us and ushered her and Romulus into the limo.  "Leaving so soon?"

I blocked his view of the door and Ezekiel stood in front of me.  "We have a few places to be in a short time, I'm sure we'll cross paths again."

As Luke neared I touched his sleeve.  "We should go, Love."

He nodded.  "Of course.  Have a good evening, Luke."

He helped me in and closed the door as he slid in beside me.  I saw him watch us drive off from the corner of my eye.  "Bothersome... now, Samantha..."  She was as far away from Romulus as she could get in the space.  "This is Romulus, yes... he is a vampire.  He along with many of us stay in the territory."

Her eyes widened.  "Like... live together."

I pursed my lips.  "And have mates.  I need you to relax.  We have many different people in our borders that live peacefully."

She bit her lip.  "I... I'll try."

I nodded and frowned at the vampire casually sitting back, purposely not looking at Samantha.  "Have your brother meet me in my office."

He nodded.  "Of course."

I sat back, now Apollo's distance was worrying me.  Ever since his brother arrived he purposely would find other things to do.  Ezekiel laced his fingers through mine.  "He'll be okay.  His feelings may be a little hurt."

I sighed.  "I truly hope that is all..."

As we exited Zoey skipped up to me, singing.  "More strays... more strays... RayRay brought her own too."

I arched a brow.  "Well, see to this one, Ladybug.  I'll be home soon."

She smiled and took the girl's hand.  "Come on, I think I know just the place for you."

Samantha relaxed as she looked around.  "It really is peaceful."

I nodded.  "Until someone disrupts it from the outside.  Go, we will speak more Monday."

Ezekiel kissed my head.  "I'll see you soon."

I smiled, he knew I needed to see to this alone.  "Thank you."

He shrugged.  "Just try not to kill him."

I rolled my eyes as I walked off.  "We'll see."

I went into my bathroom and changed into something that was not a dress and heard a knock on the door.  "Enter... just the office though."

When I finished, I stepped out and Apollo was standing by the door, waiting.  "You sent for me."

I sighed and gestured to a chair.  "Sit, if it pleases you."  He hesitated and chose to sit on the table as I sat on the corner of my desk.  "What's wrong Apollo?"

He tilted his head.  "Nothing."

I rolled my eyes.  "I don't like to be lied to.  You've been distant since..."  I thought a moment.  "Since we first arrived at the mansion."

He shrugged.  "You seemed happier with my brother."

I searched his eyes.   "You're still lying.  Are you upset about your sisters?  Or the fact that I made quick friends with him? I'm just trying to understand."

He sighed.  "Renée and Abigail were out of line and Romulus... it annoys me at best."

I frowned.  "Then... I don't understand."

Suddenly, he was in front of me and I tensed at his proximity.  "I just..."  His hand hovered next to my face and he clenched his eyes shut as it fell.  "I don't feel I can stay near and not do something I will regret."

I lowered my gaze unable to form a good response.  I cared for Apollo and had grown used to his nearness, but never had I considered him as more than a friend.  "If... it makes you more comfortable... I guess..."

His eyes were red as they snapped open.  "It doesn't."  He placed his hands on either of my sides as he fought with himself.  "I want to be by your side and would protect you with my life.  Even when you were on the verge of killing me... I..."

My heart raced, he was too close, but nothing in me wanted to push him away.  I tried to control my breathing, not moving, afraid of how he would react.  "Apollo... I need you to step back."

His hands clenched into fists.  "I was never afraid of you... even when he cowered at your power... I never would have put you through that pain."

It was too much, so I cautiously slid into his shadow to the one by the window by the desk.  "I'm sorry... I can't..."

His eyes met mine.  "Because he is your mate?  Or because you are too afraid to consider another?  Even now that the Goddess has given you both a choice."

I could think clearer now that he wasn't right on top of me.  "He is my choice.  It is unfair of me to ask you to re-"

I clenched my jaw as his arms wrapped around me.  "Then... tell me to do other jobs and let my brother keep you safe."  I couldn't breathe, let alone form the words he was asking for.  "Say it and it will be done."

Only once had he ever been so close and that was when Ezekiel went to kill those who tried to kill me.  I took a breath.  "Let go of me."

He did so, but didn't back away as I met his gaze.  "I want you to be where you feel most comfortable and effective.  However, I belong to only one, you need to understand that."

He smirked.  "Yet, you would allow someone who has stated clear interest in you to keep you within arm's reach."

I refused to back down and look away.  "Feelings change, this is clear indication of that.  Where you were simply doing your duty, you got confused somewhere along the way."

He shook his head.  "No... when I recognized you, I understood.  However, you are right... feelings and people change."

I tilted my head.  "Recog-"

He sighed and turned away.  "I have lived a very long life... I'll be there to attend to you tomorrow.  Have a good night."

I stared at the door as he left.  "What the hell was that?"

Amethyst was just as confused as I was.  I... don't know.

I slowly sank into my seat.  "I'm so confused.  I thought we were always with..."

She nodded.  For as long as we have been together...

I sat back, we didn't resist, some part of us didn't want to.  I furrowed my brow as a headache formed.  "How old was I... when we met?"

She went silent for a moment.  We found you two the night you turned 25.  We became one when you were 27.

I frowned.  "Xavier and I..."  She nodded.  "And Alastair and Ezekiel?"

She sighed.  You were almost 26 and attached at the hip ever since.

I looked at the night sky.  "It stands to reason that we were with others before meeting then."

Amethyst tilted her head.  I remember nothing about him...

I sighed.  "But he knows us... and if this is true, then... another may know Ezekiel.  Or two others..."

Amethyst growled.  They are ours...

I nodded.  "And we theirs... this is not something we can afford to dwell on right now.  We need to prepare for tomorrow."

Amethyst readily agreed.  We may need to shed some blood in the process.

I smirked.  "Too bad that is not on the agenda, but we shall see."