Chapter 5

There was no comforting her, I knew it before she smiled to ease my need to do it. She led me back out, quickly forgetting her thoughts as she saw her brother on the opposite end of the room as the rogue. "This is rich..."

I couldn't help but smile. Her brother literally took every opportunity to make fun of her, even now that we were mated. She never told anyone, but never took the time to hide the completed mark on her shoulder. "You enjoy this entirely too much."

She smiled up at me. "Do I?"

I sighed. "I would never give my brother such a hard time."

She pursed her lips. "Dominic never took the time to poke fun at you about me. William, however..."

I chuckled. "Fair point."

Everyone seemed to be there now, her mother setting out plates, her brother pouring drinks, Aurora putting the food she cooked on the table. They all paused and smiled at her. If she was nothing else, she was loved, but she failed to see it most of the time. She returned their smiles and went to start some music.

I sat beside William who had dragged in at some point. "This is fucked up."

I raised my eyebrows at him. "What?"

He frowned. "Why does he get to find his mate and me... still here... still waiting."

I pushed his shoulder. "She's out there."

He rolled his eyes. "Julius and I beg to differ."

Violet ruffled his hair. "Who knows... maybe she is right under your nose and you don't even realize it."

He glowered at her. "I would know."

She giggled. "Would you?"

He sighed. "Probably not."

She was right, if she had a male equivalent, it would be my Beta. They both never had a need for the Season, only did I find out after they met that he could be just as deadly as she. When we hunted down those that tried to kill her, he was merciless and reveled in the bloodshed, even took the time to admire it afterward. If not for the mating pull would he...

I shook those thoughts, neither ever gave me cause to believe that they were more than friends, but after what she said earlier, I realized how grateful I was that we were wolves. As she went to get something from the kitchen the rogue followed after her, like a moth to a flame. It bothered me. "You think she hasn't noticed?"

I looked over at William. "Doesn't seem like it."

He chuckled. "Tell me when anyone ever knows what she is thinking until she reveals her plans."

I pursed my lips. "She's Xavi-"

"She killed her mother's mate in front of other Alphas, she didn't hesitate, her mom didn't interfere."

I remembered the night all too well, so much had happened, I couldn't forget. "You don't think h-"

He shook his head. "What did she say to you when her Beta and Gamma threatened you?"

I lowered my gaze. "She would trust their decision."

He nodded. "If she is a danger to her brother and her pack, she will make that clear before she does anything. First, the girl has to get comfortable. All you can do right now is make sure she stays safe until she is ready."

I had a love/hate relationship with how he could see what she was doing long before I could. Then I felt her protectiveness, he was right, she already had her plan set in motion.  "I guess you're right."