Chapter 19

The crimson eyes of Ezekiel's took my breath away.  I glanced at my brother who scowled and looked away from us.  "I hate you and your fucking mood swings.  Get out of my sight."

I beamed and quickly pulled my mate out of the room.  "Wha-"

I pushed him into mine and covered his question with my lips.  He almost fell as I pushed him back on the couch.  He caught my hands as they tugged at his shirt.  "Violet."

I frowned.  "What?"

He was at a loss, I could almost hear Alastair telling him to stop.  "What is going on with you?"

I paused.  "Alastair needs to shut the fuck up."

I could see Ezekiel was at war with what he wanted, just as bad as I in that moment, and logic.  "Violet, please... not like this."

I growled.  "The Season has hit.  I know yo-"

"Yes."  He grabbed my face and kissed me with passion.  "But it doesn't do this to you.  Talk to me."

I dismounted and went for the door.  "Just forget it."

I gasped as he wrapped his arms around me and nuzzled my hair.  "Please... I want to understand.  I want to help you."

The concern in his tone almost had me in tears.  I furrowed my brow, he was right... this wasn't like me.  "I... it's happening again."

When he turned me to face him, I stared at his chest.  "What?"

I licked my lips.  "I can't... I need Aurora."

He sighed and led me back to the couch.  "No.  Tell me what to do."  I shook my head and he stilled it with his hands.  "He says it won't hurt..."

A warmth came over me and I shivered.  "Eze-"

He silenced me with a kiss and I felt my body relax.  His energy touched my soul, making me gasp then moan as I felt something release.  My mind cleared from its haze as he used one arm to pull me closer.  For the first time in days I felt peace come over me and he hugged me tight, panting.  "Better?"

I could only nod, dumbstruck.  "I've never used Light before... I wish I could do more."

I kissed his cheek as his breaths labored.  "Thank you."  He didn't respond, I didn't expect him to, I just wanted to hear his heartbeat and enjoy the peace he brought me.  He put himself at risk.

He is your mate.

He... fears me.

What did you tell Zoey when she was balancing?

I sighed.  A little fear means your not stupid.

I guess that means he's not stupid.

I nodded and released a slow breath.  In my haze I attacked Apollo, poisoned those I cared for, hurt my mate, put my pack at risk.  I closed my eyes as my heart fluttered.  Ezekiel broke through it.  Even though touching the darkness in me could make any being feral and become a halfling, not quite man, not quite beast.

I watched his face as I tried to pinpoint when it started.  I drew out the dark from the wolf, then my mark was taken.  I closed my eyes trying to remember.

It was for a second... but I lost control.

A second was enough to fog your senses, but...

Not enough to turn me completely.

So... what will you do?

I frowned.  I knew it was a risk, but nothing was a coincidence.  It never was.  We beat it.  I haven't dabbled in shadow work in some time, but when I could grasp the concept the haze faded.