Chapter 114

When Violet and Amethyst were not brimming with excitement about the upcoming fight, we worried.  Our fears only doubled when their right eye faded to grey briefly.  After this much time...

What do you mean?

Alastair frowned.  The merge should have been complete.  They are staying seperated on purpose.

We both felt relief when one of her eyes turned purple again.  But if they finished then Apollo can't...

He sighed.  It's something only they know and won't tell anyone. 

As much as I wanted to know, now was not the time to question with the enemy in front of us.  They had the understanding that whatever happened, it was their decision to come here with ill intent.  Even though, our girls would happily kill them all, she made it clear that they could not fight at all.

They were even disappointed that the resolve to do so wavered.  Free will... they can choose to end it before it even starts.

Or regroup to try again later.

We will be no less prepared nor will we bend to their wills.  Still, it is their choice.

Her head tilted as her brother's brow furrowed.  "What?"

She looked at him.  "Full of darkness?  Like the one from the car?"

He shrugged and she looked at me.  "The scouts report creatures... not quite human, not quite wolf.  Mindless things..."

My heart sank.  "Like when we lose our humanity."

She nodded.  "I've met one.  They are made that way through darkness of that mu-"  Her head snapped up.  "Their coming."

Xavier looked at her as growls and snarls filled the air.  "What..."

She frowned as she touched her chest.  "We can't kill them... I'm not..."

My eyes widened as I saw them coming.  Reports were correct it looked like these things were stuck midshift, but that isn't what made my blood run cold.  It was the malice that flowed from them and the crazed looks in their eyes.  "Vi-"

She closed her eyes as her hands raised.  "Just..."  She took a breath and I saw the shadows around us quiver.  "It'll be bullshit if I miss the fun.  Just saying..."

Xavier grabbed her shoulders as they froze.  "Just breathe... we got this..."  He looked at me, smirking.  "If they attack, looks like somebody might out kill her."

A pout formed on her lips as I felt her spirit becoming heavy.  "Violet..."

She shook her head.  "This is nothing... not compared to what we released that night.  Just make sure you don't kill them or let those bastards get to us."

I bit my lip.  Do as she says... we protect them.

I heaved a breath.  "Okay..."

"Capture them and to the dungeons..."  I was confused until I saw flashes of shadows taking away the creatures.

I looked at the twins.  "Why?"

She smiled softly, focusing on her task.  "Because... no one deserves to live in darkness or a life they didn't choose."  She peered at me through one eye.  "Kill a bunch for me, Love."

I felt as the enemy were making their move.  "Definitely..."

I ran forward and past the beings that were caught in despair.  The darkness that poured from them was terrifying.  She can't... it'll...

Focus on our job.  None make it to any of them.

I sighed as we shifted to take out the front line.  Okay... we got this...

***

I was pissed for several reasons.  First, I was missing the fun.  Second, they sent mindless beasts to attack us instead of doing it themselves.  Finally, they created them by driving them to madness using darkness.

It was heartbreaking as I pulled at it, the pain, the torture, the despair they all felt.  "Why would they..."

Xavier's hands tightened on my shoulders as he countered with light ensuring I wasn't over taken.  "Bastards... driving them to lose their humanity."

I felt the tears on my face as the battle could be heard beyond them.  "It's horrible.  It makes no sense.  Why do this to another soul?"

He sighed.  "I don't know, but it is connected to that fucking palace."

Our shadows were moving as fast as they could as they feel unconscious.  Thousands of souls lost at the hands of others.  "Good thing that is our next target."

He kissed my head.  "Can't wait to watch it burn and crumble, the only place we will go to ourselves."

The task was hard, but I knew this was the right thing to do.  These things had no thought or will of their own.  They weren't choosing to harm us, simply doing as their masters bid.  "I need to talk to the old man.  This... I feel this is not the first time this has happened."

He nodded.  "Let's get through this first."

I opened my eyes as I felt that their minds were still lost.  "That man still hasn't woken up."

He watched with me as when they got free, they feel limp to the ground.  "No, they don't know why."

I swallowed the lump in my throat.  "It's because they are lost, Zay."

"Like dead?"

I shook my head and tried to feel deeper.  "No... I can't explain it.  They are there just... lost.  Like they can't find their way."

The enemies numbers were lessened considerably and I was beginning to feel the toll of what we were doing.  "I don't understand, Vi."

I furrowed my brow.  "Neither do I, but I have a feeling it will come to light soon."

He heaved a breath as less than a quater were left.  "We missed the fun killing, to save lives."

I frowned at the sky.  "Yeah, last time we spoke I told her I wanted to lose my life taking others not saving them, but no..."

Amusement filled the air with a certain pride.  "Is she... laughing at us?"

I rolled my eyes.  "She found it amusing when I fell of the cliff too.  She's as bad as me sometimes."

He chuckled.  "But we did the right thing by not just killing them."

I scoffed as it was finally complete and the last of them taken to holding.  "But it's not fair!"

He hugged me as I whined.  "Life isn't fair."

I sighed pouting into his chest.  "We know that all too well.  But... if we hurry there is more fun to be had."

He let me go and we started running towards our territory.  "Yeah, let's not miss that."