Chapter 59

It felt like school all over again, I was trying to keep my anxiety to a simmer as I kept catching and losing the best scent I ever smelled in my life.  William appeared at my side and I scowled.  "Really?  Could you not do that?"

He shrugged.  "Easier to roam... she... I can almost smell her, but she is not here."

My heart sank.  "Maybe... she passed through."

He nodded and we turned to try to track it, but I froze when her brother appeared.  He was covered in her scent, his clothes, his face... it also looked more peaceful than it had in the last week.  "Where is she?"

He sighed sadly and looked into the town.  "Alive..."

I clenched my fists.  "Why isn't she with you?"  My heart stilled.  "Is she too badly hurt?  We can..."

He slowly shook his head.  "She can't..."  I watched him fight his tears.  "Home... is not where she is needed right now."

I grabbed his arms as my anger came to head.  "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!  Where is she?!"

He bit his lip.  "Alive and safe, Ezekiel.  This as close as your ass is getting to that fucking hug by the way."

William put a hand on my shoulder.  "Why can't she come home?"

Her brother shook his head.  "We don't know... let me go, your scent will ruin hers for when I see Zoey."

I glared at him, but released him.  "Just... I can talk sense into her.  Where is she?"

He was shaking with rage.  "You think she has a fucking choice?  She wants to come home!  She can't!"

I shook my head and went back into the town.  "Let her tell me for herself."

William was in front of me.  "You need to calm down.  This will not help either of you."

I flexed my jaw.  "He saw her... touched her.  Don't tell me to fucking calm down."

He sighed.  "You ever think that maybe you couldn't find her is because you won't let her do whatever the hell needs to be done?  Calm the fuck down."

I flexed my hands, we were on the verge of shifting.  "We need to see them... we need..."

William looked behind me in dismay.  "Compromise... if we can find her.  We will have to keep you in place.  After you see her, you have to let her leave."

I glared between the Betas as Xavier nodded.  "Fine... let's find her.  I won't leave until then."

Xavier bit his lip.  "Just a warning, if we do, she... uh... looks a little different."

My eyes widened.  "You think I care about scars or some shit."

The thought made me worry more, but he smirked as though he found something funny.  "No... smaller?  Like a baby, but not quite?"

"What the fuck, Xavier?"

He chuckled as he walked past me.  "You've been warned."

***

I stopped as we were passing a music shop.  "Hey... what's up?"

The others turned as I raised my eyebrows and went in.  They followed, silent as I touched the instruments as I passed them.  "Hey... you like music?"

I smirked as I got where I was going and went through to choose a notebook that I liked.  "What are those?"

I glanced at Julia and pointed to the sign.  "Score sheets?  Like where you write the music?"