Magic Isn't Real

"Very funny." I scoff as I shove the letter back into Hagrid's chest. "I know magic isn't real."

A loud banging on my door made me stir in my sleep.

"Wake up. It's your first day of school and you can't skip it today." I hear Iris tell me from outside my closed door.

"Why? Schools pointless." I whine as I throw my covers off and slide my legs to hang off the bed. My bedside table piled with books and papers.I push myself off the bed and get ready for school. I was going into eighth grade this year and I couldn't be less excited. After getting dressed I made my bed and threw away a million tissues I used last night from my breakdown. I shook the thought from my head and placed my books back on my shelf. My fingers grazed over the spine of the books, feeling the detailed lettering on each of them.

Oh to be in one of those books. I hate this place. I want to be anywhere but here. I live in London and there's nothing to do here. Everyone is stupid and no one understands. My parents are dead and I live with my aunt which isn't as bad as it sounds. I barely knew my parents so it didn't faze me at all. Books and movies are my way to escape reality. I just want to leave and go somewhere new. Like Neverland or Narnia. But nope, I have to be stuck in this stupid reality where nothing happens except politics and corrupt people.

I grudgingly walked out of my room and went down the stairs to get some cereal. I saw some already in a bowl at the table next to Iris. I sat down in front of it and started to eat it. I heard the light bang of the mail flap closing and I knew the mail was here. 

"Can you get that for me?" Iris asks me as she takes another sip of her coffee. I nod and walk over there grabbing the pile of mail that sat on the brown rug. I sifted through a couple of the letters before handing them to Iris to finish looking through them. As soon as I started to continue to eat my breakfast Iris spits out her coffee. I look at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Iris?"

"Shit." She stands up quickly and her chair flies backward. 

"What? Are the power and water getting cut off again? I thought we earned enough last month to pay for it though." I ask as I watch her strange behavior. She tears open the letter, her back facing towards me. "Hellloooo." I wave my arms around in a half-circle to try and get her to answer but she doesn't. She just keeps looking at the letter. "I swear if Tyler sent you another letter-"

She cuts me off by ripping the letter in half and throwing it into the fire.

"Wow, what did he do this time?" I continue asking questions trying to get an answer. It wasn't working too well.

Suddenly a loud bang came from the front door making Iris and I jump a little. Iris starts to panic for some reason and hides behind the couch. The banging on the door gets continuously louder and my body starts to shake but I can't move even though the fear was extreme. Soon the door breaks down revealing a huge man with a beard. I fall backward on my chair with a yelp as I hit my head on the hard wooden floor.

The man comes running towards me and helps me up, still shaking.

"Didn't mean to scare ya'" The man says a lot kinder than I was expecting. I stood there speechless not knowing what to do. "I'm Hagrid. I'm the keeper of keys at Hogwarts." He says in a thick accent. I furrow my eyebrows startled.

"Well, we should be off." He says as he grabs my wrist and yanks me towards the door. In a panic I resist against him, getting my arm free.

"What the hell?!" I yell as I caress my now red wrist.

"Well, we've got to be off to Hogwarts." He says like it was obvious or something.

"Hogwarts?" I say shakily, still confused.