Chapter 24 - Vote

Alice said we had about 20 minutes until Edward and Bella got here so I decided to change clothes quickly.

I changed into a pair of black skinny jeans and a white crop top with a black hoodie.

It wasn't long before I heard the front door open. I assumed they'd run hear considering I had not heard the thundering sound of Bella's truck.

Edward then said all our names, which I thought was slightly unnecessary, and we all heard and made our way downstairs.

Carlisle was there first and he said: "Welcome back, Bella. What can we do for you this morning? I imagine, due to the hour, that this is not a purely social visit?"
"I'd like to talk to everyone at once, if that's okay. About something important," Bella said as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

Edward didn't seem happy, whatever this was about.

"Bella, Edward," I greeted them both with smiles. "Bit early for you, isn't it?" I asked looking at Bella.
"This is important," she answered making me even more curious as to what she wanted to discuss. What could be so important as to come to our house at 3 in the morning?

"Of course," Carlisle said. "Why don't we talk in the other room?"

We followed Carlisle into the dining room and he held a chair out for Bella at the head of the table. The others all can win behind me.

I'd only been in this room once and that was after Bella's accident where Edward had saved her, partially exposing himself for what we really are. I hoped this conversation would go better than that one.

Everyone took their seats and I sat between Esme and Rose.

Then my eyes widened in shock.

Rose had just smiled at Bella! What was happening to the world?

Edward rolled her eyes at me, smiling as he heard my thoughts. I smiled back and thought 'Can we talk? I know not tonight, as you're with Bella, but tomorrow?' He nodded, his expression sobering. We did really need to talk about everything and I needed to tell him about Kyle.

Edward's eyebrows drew together in confusion at that and I just shook my head thinking 'I'll tell you later'. I'm sure he could hear the sadness through my thoughts.

"The floor is yours," Carlisle said, nodding to Bella, bringing me back to the current situation.

I noticed Bella swallow, appearing to be nervous. Facing 8 vampires would make most people nervous though Bella had never been like it before. It made me more curious as to what she was about to say.

"Well," she paused. "I'm hoping Alice has already told you everything that happened in Volterra?"
"Everything," Alice answered.
"And on the way?"
"That, too," Alice nodded.
"Good," Bella sighed "Then we're all on the same page."

We waited for a few moments for Bella to speak, assuming she was trying to gather her thoughts.

"So, I have a problem," she started after a moment "Alice promised the Volturi that I would become one of you. They're going to send someone to check, and I'm sure that's a bad thing, something to avoid.

"And so, now, this involves you all. I'm sorry about that." Bella looked at each of us in turn, lastly Edward. He was not at all happy. "But, if you don't want me, then I'm not going to force myself on you, whether Alice is willing or not."

So this was about Bella becoming a vampire. No wonder Edward looked so angry.

Esme opened her mouth to speak, but stopped when Bella held up a finger. "Please, let me finish. You all know what I want. And I'm sure you know what Edward thinks, too. I think the only fair way to decide is for everyone to have a vote. If you decide you don't want me, then... I guess I'll go back to Italy alone. I can't have them coming here." A small crease appeared in Bella's forehead when she said this and her words were followed by a faint growl from Edward which Bella ignored.