Chapter 10 - Spilled secret

I entered the living room the next morning, ready to leave for school. The TV was on and Edward was watching it. It was the news and I realised the report currently showing was on the rapist and murderer that was going to attack Bella.

The presenter said "Alonzo Calderas Wallace, suspected serial rapist and murderer wanted in the states of Texas and Oklahoma, was reprehended last night in Portland, Oregon thanks to an anonymous tip. Wallace was found unconscious in an alley this morning, just a few yards from a police station. Officials are unable to tell us at this time whether he will be extradited to Houston or Oklahoma City to stand trial."

The picture was unclear, a mug shot. The man had a thick beard as well. "He looks different now," Edward told me "No beard."
"Do you think Bella will recognise him?" I asked.
"Probably not. Though, she is incredibly observant. I doubt she will even see this, I hope not."
"Why?"
"I don't want her to know I did this. It could make her unnecessarily afraid. Though she does have to opposite reactions to what I expect."

"The coverage here in town will be light. It's too far away to be considered of local interest." Alice spoke up from her place on the sofa. "It was a good call to have Carlisle take him out of state." Edward nodded.
"Alice-" Edward started. She cut him off saying: "Rosalie will drive. She'll act pissed but you know she'll enjoy the excuse to show off her car." Alice trilled a laugh.
Edward grinned at us both. "See you at school."
"See you at school," I said.

Edward left Togo and pick Bella up and it was only then that I realised he hadn't told the others that Bella's knows about us. He'd have to tell them soon.

Rosalie, Emmett and Jasper entered the room. "Where's Edward?" Emmett asked.
"Guess," I said.
"Why is he always with her now?" Rosalie complained.
"Good news," Alice turned to Rosalie "you can drive."

Rosalie tried to control her expression but I noticed the corner of her mouth turn up minutely into a small smile.

We all got into her car. Emmett day in the front passenger seat whilst Jasper, Alice and I sat in the back with Alice in the middle.

The drive to school was short and Rosalie parked her car smiling smugly at the looks of awe her car was already attracting. We got out the car and I walked with Alice to her first class whilst Emmett, Rosalie and Jasper all went to whatever they had first. Rosalie paid no attention to the boys staring at her and her car though wore a smug smile, with her head held high, the whole way to her class.

I dropped Alice off before heading to my class but stopped when I saw Edward and Bella pull in to the empty parking space next to Rosalie's car. They got out the car, whilst talking, and made their way over to where Jessica Stanley was stood, under the cover of the Cafeteria. She was holding a jacket and handed it to Bella who slipped off Edward's and gave it back to him. I could see it annoyed him. He would have wanted her to keep it.

After Edward walked with Bella to the entrance to the block that I should also be in, I couldn't resist listening to what they were saying. "I suppose you could say yes to the first, if you don't mind," I caught Edward saying. "It's easier than any other explanation."
"I don't mind," Bella whispered. I could hear her heart beat; it was thumping erratically. Edward must be ecstatic with the effect he had on her.
"And as for her other question, we'll, I'll be listening to hear the answer to that one myself."

So Bella knew about his mind reading. I wondered whether she had figured it out or whether Edward had told her. He had probably told her. Edward couldn't refuse Bella anything and it isn't a very easy thing to guess about someone. She would have to be incredibly smart and observant.

Shock crossed Bella's face and I could see Edward trying to hold back a laugh. He turned before she could say anything else calling "I'll see you at lunch!" Over his shoulder as an excuse to get another look at her face.

Still in shock. Her eyes wide, jaw hanging open. Everyone was looking between Edward and Bella. I took over his sight and showed him the words: 'Way to draw attention to yourself.' His eyes found mine and I rolled my eyes at him. He laughed and I grinned. I then thought to him: 'Just be careful. Rosalie will not be happy when you tell her though, as Alice predicted, she was pleased about showing off her car.' Edward rolled his eyes at that. 'I'll talk to you later though I know you won't be sitting with us.' He shook his head confirming what I already knew.

He would be sitting with Bella which I guessed would become his daily routine. He whole life was now all about Bella.

I walked to class and the morning passed slowly.

Lunch, however, was more interesting. We were already sat at our table when Edward and Bella walked in.

Edward bought a lot of food before leading Bella to their table and sitting down. I knew the others were listening to their conversation. Especially Rosalie. If one thing was said that gave any hint that Bella knew, we would all be dead, Edward more than the rest of us.

"Take whatever you want," Edward said. Bella picked up and apple before saying: "I'm curious. What would you do if someone dared you to eat food?"

I stopped listening to Bella and Edward. I was suddenly tense as I turned to look at Rosalie who was visible fuming. Bella's question had revealed too much.

"Eat food?" Rosalie whispered. "She knows we don't eat food. What have you done now, Edward?" The last sentence was a snarl.
"Calm down, babe." Emmett placed his arm round Rosalie's shoulders. She shrugged it off. Alice's eyes went briefly blank before she spoke to Rosalie.

"Yes, she knows what we are," Alice spoke calmly. The opposite of Rosalie's facial expression.
"He told her?" She growled.
"She figured it out herself." Alice explained. I thought it would be best for me to keep quiet. It wouldn't help the situation if Rosalie knew I already knew as well.
"How could he?" Her hand slammed down on the table. Not loud enough to draw any attention from human ears but immortal ears were different.

Her eyes bore into the back of Edward's head as her mental shriek made its way to him. "Easy, Rose," Emmett murmured. He wrapped his arm round her shoulders once more but this time tighter, restraining her.

Then I noticed Jasper. His anger was more subtle than Rosalie's but definitely there. He had never been happy with the idea of Edward being with Bella. I hadn't understood his immediate anger about the situation and his dislike of her, even with my extra knowledge of his background. I'm sure Edward would know. I noticed Alice was looking at him guilty. She must be apologising for telling Rosalie. There must have been a good reason. I wonder what would have happened if she hadn't told her now, when we had a facade to keep up.

I zoned out for the rest of lunch. I didn't listen to Bella and Edward, I paid no attention to Rosalie or Jasper though Edward's head whirled round once to see Rosalie visibly fuming.

Then the bell rang and we stood up, still in silence, and made our way to our next class.

-~-

Shoutout to: @emilyschimmens 💕💕💕