Chapter 2 - First sight

Forks was the least sunny place in the continental US. That is why I had chosen it; so I could go outside during the day and not sparkle.

I ran through the forest until I was opposite the school. Even from there I could smell them. Four vampires.

I didn't want them to know what I was. I reached out my my gift and used it on the vampires to mask my scent and I made everyone see me with blue eyes because, even though my natural green eyes would not have let the vampires know what I was, like my golden eyes, they would still draw attention. Green eyes aren't very common.

It wasn't raining when I stepped out of the tree line. I'd waited until I was sure no one was watching before running, at a human pace, across the road and onto the pavement.

I walked through the school gates and realised why no one had been walking down the road. Everyone had cars.

During my human years, barely anybody had a car. Especially not teenagers. Now everyone had one and I didn't have any money left to buy one.

I went straight to the office and the lady behind the desk welcomed me and handed me a slip, for all my teachers to sign, that I needed to bring back at the end of the day.

My first lesson was Spanish. I gave my slip to my teacher and she signed it before sending me, with my books, to an empty seat in the back row.

I was still making everyone see me with blue eyes. The vampires weren't in here so I didn't control the humans' sense of smell. It was a waste of my energy. I'd never had to use my power for so long that it had drained me, or got weaker, or so I couldn't use it.

The girl sat next to me was very short, about 5" maybe 5" 1'. She had extremely curly, dark hair. "Hey," she greeted me as I sat down. "I'm Jessica, you must be Eliana?"
"Yeah, how did you know?" She laughed.
"You're new. In a small town a new student is big news. Like Bella yesterday," Jessica pointed to the girl sat next to her.

The girl, Bella, had dark brown hair and pale skin. Not as pale as vampires' but paler than any of the other students that I had seen so far. I had known there was a new student that had started yesterday, that is why I had chosen today to start school. I though it would take some of the attention off me as everyone would still be interested in her.

"Hi," Bella greeted me and smiled.
"So you're new too?" I asked.
"Yeah, I moved here from Phoenix, The Valley of the Sun." That made her pale skin even stranger. You'd think she would be tanned.
"Cool."
"Where did you move from?" Bella asked me.
"Canada," I told her. She looked surprised and also like she was going to say something else but the teacher called on Jessica for an answer to a question I hadn't heard so I turned my attention back to the lesson.

Bella and Jessica has Trigonometry next. I also had Trig but was not in the same class. However our classrooms were next to each other and I had agreed to meet them after class to go to the cafeteria for break.

The teacher signed my slip and sat me in a seat in the front row. Unfortunately. The lesson progressed slowly. The hour felt like a whole day and being a vampire, with endless time stretched out before me, hours should, and normally do, feel like seconds.

After Trig I met Bella and Jessica and we walked to the canteen. I queued with them whilst they bought food but I didn't buy any. I realised that I probably would need to in order to keep up my human facade but I didn't have any money.

We sat down at a table with some of Jessica and Bella's other friends. That's when I first saw them. They were sitting in the corner of the cafeteria, as far away from where I sat as possible in the long room. There were 4 of them. They weren't talking, and they weren't eating, though they each had a tray of untouched food in front of them.

Edward Cullen's Little Sisterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें