Chapter 20 - The Chase

We drove for roughly 100 miles in silence.
"Can you still hear him?" I heard Carlisle ask Edward from inside the Jeep, breaking the silence.
"Yes, but it's getting fainter. He's falling behind, though I'm positive he's capable of keeping up with us," Edward said "Do you think that's a bad sign?"

I was keeping track of him with my gift. Not using it, because we needed him to be in a secluded place away from people before we ripped him apart and burnt the pieces. But I used it to make sure we didn't lose him.

"Not necessarily. He's a tracker, so he knows he'll be able to find us even if he stays miles back. You said this was a game to him. Maybe he's trying to make it more interesting." Carlisle answered Edward.
"Maybe," he mumbled.

We drove for about another hundred miles with James fading in and out of reach. Then when we passed Vancouver, and I couldn't sense him anymore. I didn't think anything of it, just him fading out of reach again. After several minutes without him reappearing I got suspicious and without the others noticing, I slipped off the back of the Jeep and ran, faster than I ever had before, in the direction James had been.

I caught his scent easily and followed it until I reached a small clearing. He wasn't there, which was a disappointment; it would have been the perfect place for me to kill him.

I glanced around he small, green clearing, and nestled in the grass, in the very centre, was a piece of paper. A note. I didn't recognise the hand writing but based on the strong scent of James around it, it had to be from him.

The note read:

Dear Eliana,

I hope this letter finds you well, though I assume the circumstances have you all currently on edge. My plan is in motion and I assure you it will go smoothly. You see, none of this could have been possible without you.

Your brother, Edward, has a rather spectacular gift, don't you think? I certainly do. I learned of it many years ago, just after his transformation, actually. It is what allowed my plan to work, you see. I kept on the edge of his range, assuring him I was still following him but not letting him invade my mind to discover my plan.

I know Bella isn't with you. Maybe your brother will figure out where I've gone. I'm not sure exactly where she is; I have a hunch.

It reminds me I must thank you. You really did lead to my most exciting game ever after all. You see, back in 1917, you were my target, my next victim, only, you were never alone.

If you were in the house, someone else was always there, if you went out, there were always others around. And you must understand, there were things I wanted to do to you that could not be done in public.

I kept my eye on you and then that day when you became an orphan and you lost your brother. The day he 'died'. Or not, it would seem. Carlisle changed him, and then he lied to you. I almost killed you when you slept on a bench that night. But I didn't, clearly. I was excited, really. I wanted to know what Edward would do. I had my suspicions that he would most likely change you but I didn't want that. I wanted you human so he would fight me as I tried to kill you. It would really just bring a little excitement and slightly more enjoyment to my life or whatever you call this existence.

But then you got shipped off to England. It was a great disappointment to me. I knew I could find you easily so I stayed to see the outcome of Edward transformation. There was still a part of me that hoped he would find you and protect you. That was unlikely, unless he had tracking abilities like myself. But he got mind reading. An impressive gift, and useful. It helped me greatly today. Without the knowledge I only learned because of you, I would not have succeeded; I would most likely be dead by now.