Daylight 58 - Today

Daylight (58)

"O-Okay pa ba tayo? Y-Yan, maayos pa ba t-tayo?"

For a couple of minutes, she was just crying. Her eyes were so swollen that it looked like she was already crying for quite a while now. I patiently waited for her answer. I hope and prayed to get a 'yes' or anything positive.

But it didn't come.

What came was the look in her eyes that screamed pain and bleeding.

And the three words that could crash our entire six months together.

"I-I don't know..." she said.

I froze.

I tried to open my mouth to say something but no words came out.

To say that I was devastated was an understatement.

Napahawak ako sa tuhod ko bilang suporta. Kahit alam kong nanghihina at pagod na pagod na rin siya, inalalayan pa rin ako ni Yanisa. Umupo kami sa isa sa mga stone chairs sa garden ng Valderama Medical. Pang-dalawahan 'yun kaya nagkasya kami.

For a moment, we were just silent. No one dared to talk. We were just both looking at the people and cars passing by.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that," she started. She wasn't looking at me.

"Did you mean it?" I asked, I was also still looking at the road in front of us.

"No. Of course not."

"Are you sure?"

From my periphery, I saw her nod.

I looked at her this time. "Yan, I'm sorry. I-I'm sorry kung napapagod ka na sa akin. I'm s-sorry kung 'di ko napapansin na namamayat ka na rin pala. I'm sorry sa kawalan ko ng oras para—

"Sssh," she hushed me by putting her finger on my lips. She gave me a small smile but her eyes screamed exhaustion.

"'Wag kang mag-sorry, 'di mo naman ginusto lahat 'yun, 'di ba?" she asked.

"Hindi."

"Ako ang dapat na mag-sorry," she whispered.

"Why?"

"Kasi minsan, hindi ako marunong umintindi ng sitwasyon. Minsan, isip bata pa rin ako. Minsan, pakiramdam ko, hindi talaga ako para sa 'yo."

"Para ka sa 'kin," I cut her. "Ako ba, Yan. Para ba ako sa 'yo?"

She looked at me, not saying anything.

"Mahal na mahal kita, Ash."

I closed my eyes as I let her words sink in for a second. Every word from her felt so real. It was a relief to hear that from her.

"Mahal na mahal din kita, Yan."

Silence...

"Bakit ang tagal mo sa labas?" she asked.

Oh. She didn't know that Paul came to talk to me. 

Earlier, I was nervous to know that Paul might be saying the truth. But now, I don't think so. The way Yanisa looks at me made me confident enough that it is still me that she loves. 

The way she looks at me made feel that her love for me could move mountains, that her love for me could be stronger than anything.

"Why were you punching the tree?" she asked again. She was looking at my wounded knuckles.

I sighed deeply.

"I just... need to let out all the frustration," I said.

She slightly nodded. "I see. Did it help?"