Daylight 51 - Arms

Daylight (51)

"It's... actually awkward to be talking about this in a buffet entrance," Arlene said when both Yanisa and I didn't say a thing.

Even though I was still in great shock, I managed to quickly compose myself and agreed to her.

Arlene looked at her phone first before she looked back at us.

"Aus is picking me up. Malapit na raw siya. Do you want to talk about this over coffee?" she asked, her eyes on me and then to Yanisa.

Yanisa and I locked eyes for a moment before she gave out a quick smile, and an approving nod.

"He's at Café Breton," Arlene said. "Let's go?"

Tahimik kaming sumunod kay Arlene. Nung medyo mas nauuna nang maglakad si Arlene, kinuha ko 'yun na oportunidad para kausapin si Yanisa.

"Are you sure about this? Okay lang naman na umuwi na tayo," I whispered.

She just shrugged. "Okay lang naman. We still have time."

"I just don't want you to, you know, feel uneasy about the topic."

"Kasi ex mo siya?" She looked at me.

"Hindi ko siya ex."

"Ayun naman pala, e. It's okay, Ash. No harm," she said, smiling.

"Baka may iba ka pang gustong puntahan. It's our date..." I said.

"It's okay." She squeezed my hand.

Pagdating namin sa Café Breton, kumaway agad si Austin sa amin. Nag-order muna kami ni Yanisa ng frappe bago umupo sa table namin.

As usual, the conversation started with simple 'How are you's. Yanisa was very friendly to the couple that I think they almost forgot what we're here for. Ako na yung nagpaalala. I just didn't want to prolong the agony. And I honestly want more time with Yanisa alone.

"So, what's the deal with Morganne?" I suddenly asked. Napatahimik sila at napatingin sa akin. Austin nodded to Arlene, indicating her to start talking. Arlene cleared her throat first before she started talking.

"Like I said, she's unwell." She looked down before talking again. "Nakasalubong ko siya nung isang araw nung palabas siya sa clinic ni Dra. Valderama, Viel's aunt. She just had her check-up.—

"Halos itago niya yung mukha niya nung nakita niya ako. Pero nakita ko na siya at kinawayan ko na siya. She had no choice but to acknowledge my presence. She didn't give me any details, though. She just smiled and kissed my cheek," Arlene said.

I nodded, telling her to go on.

"She was alone, Ash. I don't think her family knows that she's back in the Philippines," Arlene added.

"Why... did she come back then?" I asked more to myself. I'm getting confused.

"No one knows, bro. Hindi siya sumasagot sa mga tawag namin ni Arlene. Walang nakakaalam kung malala ba siya o ano. Wala ring nakakaalam kung bakit pa siya bumalik dito. We all know that US has a better healthcare system than us," Austin said.

Silence crept in for a moment. Walang nagsasalita sa aming apat. Sakto namang doon tumawag si Viel.

I knew that he's calling for the same topic. Kaya naman ni-loud speaker ko nalang para marinig din nila. Gusto ko rin kasing maramdaman ni Yanisa na wala akong tinatago sa kanya. I want to be as transparent as possible. Wala rin naman gaanong customer yung café.

"Viel," I answered his call.

[Abo, sa wakas sumagot ka rin. Urgent 'to.]

"About Morganne?"